Pallisar Fairmont Calgary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Family of 4 are staying at the Pallisar in July. Does anyone have any room recommendations? I have heard many are dark and railroad noisey??
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 04:48 AM

The Palliser is a great hotel, but the rooms are not the best. I recommend it to people who are looking for a hotel with all the amenities (restaurants, fitness centre, plush lobby etc).

The rooms are well appointed, but as you say, the ones at the back overlook the train tracks, and you do get rail noise. In the front, you over look a busy street, and many of the rooms are dark.

Your absolute best bet in Calgary for a family of four (if you can afford it) is the Sheraton Eau Claire. New, all suite hotel, experly managed, complete with a pool and waterslide for the kids. There are no bad rooms, all are bright, spacious and well fit up, complete with microwave and kitchenette. The location in the Eau Claire Market is ideal for families too. Save on parking by parking in a surface lot behind the hotel, rather than using their pricy valet service.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 07:00 AM

Stayed there at Christmas time and I was very disappointed. It is looking kind of dreary and run down these days. (The staff whispered to us that the owners are planning on running it into the ground and then selling it off).

In fact, they had to move us three times. Our first room had a complimentary bottle of water that had been opened and used, if you can imagine and smelled to high heaven of smoke. The second they assigned us to was in use and the third was decent but not kept up.

I recommend the Sheraton Eau Claire as well.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Also, the Sheraton has specials for their gold floor (with kids, you might not be able to stay there) and for other floors, go to their website

http://www.sheratonsuites.com/

and check them out. We have been able to stay on the gold floor, a huge suite with complimentary breakfast and managers cocktail hour for free.

Another plus with Sheraton, they have now changed to these new mattresses that are the most comfortable I have ever slept on.

Frankly, I think you will be disappointed with the Palliser. I really do.

It will probably cost you as much as the Sheraton and not be nearly as nice. The one thing that is great about the Palliser over the Sheraton is they have a fancy dining room.

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 12:33 PM

Last summer we stayed at both the Pallisar and the Calgary Westin (long story...lol!) We had no problems at the Pallisar but would not rate the rooms as outstanding. Enjoyed the restaurant and the opulent lobby. We also enjoyed the Westin which is in the Eau Claire area.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all of you..nuf said...Sheraton it is