Honeymoon hotels in Calgary

Jun 3rd, 2002, 11:35 AM
Jeff

Honeymoon hotels in Calgary

My fiancee and I are looking forward to a Sept. honeymoon in the Canadian Rockies. Our last two nights will be in Calgary, but we can't decide on a hotel. I've read reviews on this forum of The Palliser, the Westin, and the Sheraton Suites Eau Claire. We're a bit concerned that the Palliser may be too fussy for our tastes, and the Westin too business-like. (We don't mind big chain hotels if they have some style and character; for instance, we like the W Hotels.)

Are there other hotels in downtown that we should consider? Perhaps we have the wrong impression of the Palliser and/or Westin? Thanks for any advice you can give.

Jun 3rd, 2002, 11:52 AM
Jan

Hi, we've stayed at the Palliser many times on our way to and from the Rockies and have always enjoyed it. The Palliser definitely has charm and character as well as an interesting history. It is an old Canadian Pacific railroad hotel (built in 1914), as opposed to the other hotels you mention, which are new. I would call the hotel directly rather than going through the Fairmont general reservations line. They can best answer your questions and perhaps set aside a particularly nice room for you (this has been our experience).

Congratulations on your wedding and have fun in the Rockies!

Jun 3rd, 2002, 01:42 PM
dnorrie

Sheraton Suites, Gold Floor is my recommendation, having stayed at all three.

Comments on the three:

The Westin is very nice but getting a bit older. The rooms are very nicely kept up and appointed. The suites in the Westin are outstanding but so very expensive. Regular rooms are also nice and the Westin is home of the "Owl's Nest" dining room which is a place I recommend to dine. Absolutely wonderful food. Go for the menu du jour. Great staff although, when I was there the first time(as a rookie), we ordered a carafe of the house wine and then another. Silly us. The waiter snootily asked us if "we were aware of the cost of the wine" (I guess we looked broke as we were). We told him, never mind, bring it. It is of note that the house wine at the Owl's Nest is really the "feature" wine and is pricey. What a shock we got when we got the bill. But to save face, we just smiled sweetly and paid it. Take note of that however. Other than that one kind of bad experience, I have always had a great time at the Owl's Nest, lots of laughs with the waiters and staff and wonderful food. It also has a wonderful location, right in the heart of downtown. Joke with the waiters, they love it. Give them as bad a time as you can, in a fun way.

The Palliser is lovely as well with luxurious rooms. Not at all fussy, just quietly polite, great staff that go the extra distance. Any little complaint no matter what, they deal with you graciously and you will recieve $'s for it. My phone wasn't working the last time I was there (yes, I was on the gold floor) and for that, the staff brought us cappucinos to the room and gave us $200 in certificates, no expiry to use anywhere for anything in any Palliser Hotel. I love the way they treat people. But, the rooms are a bit smaller than the Sheraton Suites Eau Claire. That would be the main difference. And that the gold floor is accessable to anyone.

Sheraton Suites Eau Claire. Gold Floor is all I have seen but the rooms are outstanding. As you are on your honeymoon I assume you will spend a bit more time in your room. Bathrooms are equipped with everything you could want from Q-tips to shampoo. Luxurious towels, extra nice sheets, wonderful mattresses, piped in music, separate living area, great view. If on the gold floor, also a private lounge where the manager meets and greets you, free drinks during happy hour, a free breakfast that is better than continental, includes, scrambled eggs, bacon, croissants, juice, coffee. And best of all, no one can access the floor without a special card, quite unlike the gold floor at the Palliser. So, this means that you have no little kids scurrying around and screaming. It is a quiet floor and wonderful for a honeymoon. The down side of the Sheraton is that they don't have a private dining room such as the Owl's Nest. But the Owl's Nest is within walking distance. Just make a reservation and dine there anyhow.

Feel free to email me if you have further questions. A honeymoon is a special time and a time to be remembered. If you are into spending the $250+/night/cdn., make it a special time.

Hope this helps.

Jun 4th, 2002, 04:24 AM
Jeff

Jan & dnorrie, thanks very much for the good recommendations. dnorrie, I really appreciate all the detail--I'm leaning toward the gold floor at the Sheraton.

Jun 4th, 2002, 07:06 AM
x

friends stayed at the sheraton and like it a lot.