Overnight en route to Fogo Island

Feb 17th, 2017, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Overnight en route to Fogo Island

Hi all

After our 4 nights In Gros Morne we will go to Fogo Island where we have rented a house for three nights. We will be based in Rocky Harbour for Gros Morne

What would you recommend as a one night stop enroute? Is Twillingate reasonable?

Three possible ferry crossings -Sunday end of May- 8:30, 11:30, and 3:30- which is direct and 45 minutes

The others are one hour 45 minutes

Thanks
Feb 17th, 2017, 02:38 PM

I stayed in Gander. Really interesting little town and they deserve our support for their hospitality after 9/11
Feb 18th, 2017, 01:28 AM

Twillingate would be my choice. It's a pretty town and If you are there at the right time, you might even see an iceberg in the bay as I did on one visit.

Bear in mind that there are no reservations for the ferry, so you will want to be in Farewell to join the line in good time. Otherwise you will have to wait for the next ferry, and other than a chip wagon, Farewell has no restaurant or other facility for travellers. There may be toilets, but I can't remember them. Here are some photos from CBC Newfoundland:

http://www.cbc.ca/nl/features/fogo/the-ferry/

If you have time on your return, I recommend stopping for a few hours at Change Islands. Very picturesque.

When you are in Rocky Harbour, don't miss Anchors Aweigh who perform at the Anchor Pub several nights a week during the summer.
Feb 19th, 2017, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi
We will go right to Fogo island from Gros Morne and spend the extra night there as we will be able to make the 3:30 ferry

The drive to Farewell -ferry- around 4 1/2 hour is shorter than the drive to Twillingate and this way we do not have to wake up really early to get the 9 am fery the next day

Thanks