AEro/Svendborg overnight?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am dying to go to the island of AEro. I think we would need to overnight in either AEroskobing or go back to Svendborg to make it a pleasant trip. Any suggestions on where to stay in that area? Thanks. C
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 09:25 AM

I am staying two nights in Aeroskobing in late May. We're staying at the Pension Vestergrade
http://www.pension-vestergade44.dk/

The owner has been extremely helpful in helping me with information about taking the train and ferry to reach the island.
Old May 16th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info. I am just now getting back into planning for our June trip - after an almost 2 month detour. If there is any information you could share about getting to and from AEroskobing, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Old May 17th, 2007, 07:43 AM

Hi Klank
From what I can determine, there are two ways to get to Aero. One is by train/bus/ferry. The other is by car and ferry. The price difference depends on how many people are going. We have four people traveling together, so the car was a little more economical overall, and a little more flexible. Plus we can have a car on the island to drive around.

The train/bus/ferry connections seemed to work fairly well together if you wanted to go that way.

Either way, you have to take the ferry over to the island.
www.aeroe-ferry.dk
If you're taking a car, you have to make a reservation, which I did via email.

From Copenhagen to Svendborg, it seems to be a 2-3 hour drive, depending on construction. Then we'll take the one hour ferry over to Aero Island.

Hope that helps!
Old May 19th, 2007, 01:22 PM

We loved our stay at Pension Vestergrade.
If you have a car you can take the ferry to AEro by leaving Svendborg, arriving at AEroskobing and then leave by Soby at the other end of the island. The Soby route takes you to Faaborg, which is a lovely little city. The town of Soby was less tourist like, we shared the ferry with farmers on tractors taking grain wagons to Fyn. Both ferry rides are about 1 hour.

Be sure to make your ferry reservations a day or two before you plan to leave for AEro. The ferries are often sold out.

Our favorite place on the island was Voderup Klint. A little walk down the rolling cliffs to the ocean. We walked along the rocky beach, enjoyed watching the waves and could see Germany. We were all alone. I am terribly out of shape, yet was able to make it back up the hill when done!

Right on the way to Svendborg is Egeskov Slot. Wonderful castle in the middle of a lake. Well worth the stop.
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I was planning to use our Eurail passes from Copenhagen to Svendborg, but evidently Eurail doesn't go to Svendborg. Hmmm. Those who had a car... did you get it in Copenhagen or Odense - or CPH? What car company did you use and did you reserve from the states or once you got to Denmark? There are 3 of us travelling.
To the people who stayed in Pension Vestergade: did they require a 2-night stay? I have sent my request for a room, but I haven't heard back yet.
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:24 PM

We stayed in Copenhagen for five days and then rented from Auto Europe. I rented the car from the US. There were two offices in Copenhagen. One was at the airport - there was a large surcharge to rent from the airport so we took the other one. I can't remember the street name, but it was an easy 10 minute bus ride from Tivoli.

We just stayed one night at the Pension Vestergade.
The British lady that runs it is very busy and I didn't hear from her for awhile either. I finally called her one the phone. She is VERY nice and you will love your stay.
Old May 27th, 2007, 06:29 PM

Sorry, I called her ON the phone.
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 12:02 PM

We just returned from our stay with Susanna at the Pension. We rented our car from Europcar in the city. The drive took us about 2.5 hours from the car rental to the ferry dock. The ferry for four people and car, roundtrip, was 877DKK. An unexpected cost for us was the toll road enroute to the ferry, which cost us 410DKK roundtrip. I will say we were very glad to have a car on the island and felt we got to explore a lot more, and a lot more easily.

The Pension and Susanna were great. She's very personable and we learned a lot about Denmark just by talking with her. She's also great at providing recommendations and dinner reservations (we ate at Mum's and a pub in the center of the island-both were good).

One note about the Pension-if you're allergic to dogs or feathers, it might not be the best option. The dog, Hector, roams the main house pretty freely. We stayed out in the "garden" rooms, which are fairly new and off limits to Hector. But the feather bedding did me in and we had to move to another B&B for our second night. Pity because we loved Susanna's homemade jam and morning banter.