Ottawa lodging advice

Old May 26th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ottawa lodging advice

Hello, what is the best (location, clean, quiet) option of these Ottawa hotels?

Les Suites
Cartier Place
Minto Place

Thanks.

Old May 27th, 2005, 02:41 AM

I haven't stayed at any of these hotels as I live in Ottawa. However, they are all good choices for a suite hotel in downtown Ottawa. They are all located within walking distance of most attractions. Les Suites is close to the By-Ward Market and its restaurants and shops, while Cartier Place is just off Elgin Street, which also has many restaurants, Minto Place is a bit further west, and in an area of office buildings. I don't think that there's much to choose among them from the point of location and quiet. I assume that all hotels in this category are clean. Price would probably be the main factor, and I expect that Minto Place is the most expensive.
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

thanks laverendrye. based on your own knowledge of the locations, which of the 3 would you choose? also, as an ottawan, what 2-3 sites would you have on the top of your list for a visitor to see?
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:01 PM

I'd probably choose the Cartier Suites, based strictly on location. Although it's next to Elgin Street, which can be quite busy, Cooper is reasonably quiet, and the neighbourhood is nice.

I'm assuming that you haven't been to Ottawa before, so I'll give you my top 5 attractions rather than 2 or 3.

1. I don't know when you are coming, but if it's after the beginning of July, you can take in the daily Changing of the Guard on Parliament Hill and visit the Parliament Buildings. The tour is quite interesting, and the view from the Peace Tower is outstanding.

2. The Canadian Museum of Civilization across the river in Gatineau (you can easily walk from downtown Ottawa). A new exhibition on Pompeii has just opened, and there is also an Omnimax Theatre.

3. The Canadian War Museum. The new museum has just opened this month and it is stupendous. This is not to be missed, not only for its exhibits which include much of the war art never before exhibited, but also for its extraordinary architecture.

4. The National Gallery of Canada. A blockbuster exhibition on Michaelangelo, DaVinci and the art of the Renaissance is about to open and by all reports will be outstanding.

5. The By-ward Market. A farmer's market with many restaurants, pubs, shops, clubs etc. Bustling by day, and quite alive at night.

Depending on when you are here, there should be one or more festivals going on. The major ones are the Jazz, Blues, Chamber Music, and Folk Festivals, but there are lots of others.

For information on all this and much more, the City of Ottawa tourism site is at http://ottawa.ca/visitors/index_en.html

The Ottawa Tourism site is at:

http://www.ottawatourism.ca/english/home.cfm

Enjoy your visit.
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

canadian hospitality at its finest! thank you very much.
Old May 27th, 2005, 02:25 PM

I have stayed at Minto Place on business trips and it is clean, quiet, yet located above a small mall. The suites are spacious and well appointed. It is about a 20 minute walk to Parliament Hill area. However, I agree with "laverendrye" that Les Suites and Cartier Place would be more convenient for a tourist. Not familiar with Cartier Place but Les Suites has been a popular hotel with business travellers also.
Old May 28th, 2005, 11:55 AM

Do an internet search for aerial photos of Ottawa. (yahoo images tab above type in bar)I did and found that I did not want to end up staying amongst all the high rises (west part of canal) And the options east were a bit far to walk for my tight schedule, but not bad really. Anyway from the aerial photos I concluded that I would pop the extra money and have my wife and kids "home base" from the Chateau as it was between Byward, Sparks street and Hill. Perfect spot. Otherwise without aerial photos I would have been at a loss for what to choose. In fact now I try to get aerials for any place I am going for the first time. Saves some possibly bad surprises.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Any others have thoughts on these hotels? Thanks.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 03:13 PM
wow

Can't comment on your accomodations but you shd check out Collonade(sp?) Restaurant for pizza! (If it is still there...anybody in Ottawa care to comment??)
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 07:57 PM

Colonnade Pizza on Metcalfe has been around for at least 36 years (that's when I first tasted it), and it's generally agreed to be the best in town.