One partial day in Vancouver pre-cruise

Apr 29th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Original Poster

One partial day in Vancouver pre-cruise

Helping plan a trip for my parents in their mid-fifties. They more enjoy outdoor scenery than indoor museums. Their pace is more leisurely than rushed.

The plan is for them to be in Vancouver from about 9:45a on a Wednesday until they board their cruise (leaving at 4:30p). They will be arriving in Vancouver on The Canadian (train). It seems like the earliest to board the ship is 1:00ish...and they should plan to be there no later than 3:30p.

It would be nice for them to spend some time exploring a little in Vancouver, but I'm wondering what they would do with their luggage?

With such a short time in Vancouver, and assuming the luggage issue is solved, what would you recommend they do? And what sort of transportation? Are taxis easy to hail in Vancouver?

Thanks!
Apr 29th, 2011, 03:29 AM
Original Poster

I think I've solved this one pretty much on my own...just need to know if transportation is better by bus or taxi:

I found that there is a left luggage option at the cruise terminal. So, upon arrival, bus or taxi to Canada Place (is the left luggage area easy to find?). Then it looks like Stanley Park is probably their best bet...so bus or taxi to Stanley Park. The first hop-on, hop-off tour begins at 11:00a. Spend the day in Stanley Park - lunch in Stanley Park somewhere. If they want to go to the Vancouver Lookout, then head there from Stanley Park by either bus or taxi...and then walk over to the cruise terminal (appears to be about a 5 min walk).
Apr 29th, 2011, 04:33 AM

There's also a Horse Carriage one-hour tour of Stanley Park that runs around the grounds giving history and information... www.stanleyparktours.com
Apr 29th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

I saw that, but it looked a bit expensive...and I think they'd prefer to be able to stop and go at will on the first go-round considering the limited time. Thanks for the info though!
Apr 29th, 2011, 02:23 PM

Stick to the eastern third of Stanley Park. The totem poles are the most visited spot in the park.
Link to landmarks: http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/stanley/landmarks.htm
The seawall is really too long to walk with their limited time.
Enter the park through the Georgia Street entrance.
I have not been there since before the 2010 Winter Olympics.
May 2nd, 2011, 05:27 PM

Vancouver is surrounded by "outdoor scenery", much of which you can observe as a backdrop as you acquaint yourself with the central part of the city.

IF your parents are from (somewhere near to Dallas? - and not Dallas, Oregon)... and if they've never been to Vancouver and aren't likely to return soon...

I can see cruising through Stanley Park, but I'd sure want to spend some of my precious time exploring the downtown Vancouver area.

Vancouver is so diverse... and it is relatively compact because of water on most sides. You wouldn't begin to think you could see it all... but just to wander into a few of the neighborhoods just might offer a nice sense of the area.

I suspect that the first few minutes of the actual cruise itself would afford photo ops with much of the spectacular surroundings there, so perhaps the time in town could be put to different use.
May 3rd, 2011, 05:03 AM

We were in Vancouver last weekend and thorughly enjoyed the Trolley Tour with the hop-on/off... we went with www.vancouvertrolley.com and spent about five hours touring.

What makes this better is the ability to see all of the city with historical and fun information, take pictures, and get off for lunch, shopping, without having to worry about transport... there are several stops in Stanley Park, but there's much more to Vancouver than the park... if time becomes a factor, they could always cab back to the departure dock, but the tour does start and stop there anyway...

I would recommend they drop their luggage and board the tour right at Canada Place (stop 1) Tickets are sold on board the trolley...
May 3rd, 2011, 11:08 AM

From the cruise dock you can walk along the seawall.
May 3rd, 2011, 01:17 PM

Hey, I will endorse garyt22's idea too, if the timing is suitable for your window of opportunity.

I resign myself to the idea that your parents won't have much hope of seeing everything I know of Vancouver. I also understand that your parents will want the best overview they can afford themselves with the time available.

There's just... something about the urban core of Vancouver which makes its diversity and mildly foreign-seeming elements quite interesting to take-in.

The nature is all around, and will make for a pleasant backdrop for photos and the like, but IF their cruise is going to ALASKA... they will see so much more NATURE there, that Vancouver's nature can be rendered a secondary option.
May 5th, 2011, 11:56 AM

They could arange to leave their luggage at the hotel. There is a bike rental about 1 block from Stanley Park. in 3 hours they can bike all along the water and thru Stanley park to get a feel for Vancouver and relax. If they like gardens there is a wonderful botannical garden in Van. easily reached by bus.
May 7th, 2011, 03:05 PM

As you mentioned, there's a hop-on-hop-off type bus right outside Canada Place they could take to go to Stanley Park for a few hours.

If they want to be even more leisurely, they could always just take a nice walk along the Coal Harbour waterfront walking west from Canada Place, towards Stanley Park but not reaching it.

Right beside Canada Place on the east would be Gastown with the boutiques and older buildings.

Or they could just wander around aimlessly looking around since Canada Place is in the heart of downtown.
May 8th, 2011, 07:59 AM

With such short time, I'd advise against Canada Place (scenic but boring) or Gastown (no scenery, historic but grungey w/lots of beggars... not a good first impression of Vancouver).

If they like to take things leisurely and love outdoor scenery, get them to Stanley Park/English Bay or Granville Island - it'll feel like they're on vacation.
May 8th, 2011, 08:04 AM

Should note that Granville Island's located on a scenic peninsula a 10 minute drive from the cruise ship terminal. Best known for its Granville Island Public Market (lots of vendors, mostly food, but also gifts) - but there are many other places to explore and meander - little alleys with restaurants, patios, artist studios, little harbours, etc. Lots of taxis at Granville Island as well.

Stanley Park is walkable from Canada Place (the cruise ship terminal) - about a 30-40 minute walk. I'd probably just take a taxi to English Bay and walk along the seawall into Stanley Park and then back to English Bay, and hail a taxi back to the cruise ship from Davie/Denman (the main intersection at English Bay) - this is definitely one of the most scenic places downtown.

I also want to clarify, I don't want to knock Canada Place... but since they'll be docking there, they'll have already seen the scenery... there's no point lingering there as there's more interesting places to visit. Canada Place is somewhat sterile - it lacks the vibrant neighbourhood/leisurely feel that English Bay has.
May 8th, 2011, 03:06 PM

All of this is on the trolley tour...