One Day in Niagra falls with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2014, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! My husband and I are planning to take our 8 year old and 5 year old to Niagra Falls for a day trip. I was thinking to do Journey Behind the Falls, Maid of the Mist, and the Whirlpool Aero Car. My questions are: Will the kids be ok for these activities (I don't want them to be scared)? Is there a certain order that anyone would suggest doing them in? Thank you!
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 08:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you all Canadians coming from Hamilton or Toronto?
Do you have passports or are you staying on the Canada side?
Go Transit is a good alternative to driving and looking for parking. http://www.gotransit.com/publicroot/en/default.aspx
There are now 2 boat companies competing at the falls, one on the US side and the other in Canada.
I would do the boat first and the other things if you have time and the kid wants to do them.
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 09:23 AM

I loved the Maid of the Mist boat ride! Journey Behind the Falls looks interesting, but I would be afraid of the Whirlpool Aero Car, but then, I am a grown up! If you did all three, it seems kinda like "overkill" on the falls. The Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum is fun.
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Tomfuller, we are coming from the US side from OH. Thanks for the comments on the boats! SeaF, thanks for your comments on the Aero Car - is it open (not enclosed) - I might agree that it might be scary if that is the case! Also, thanks for the Ripley's idea!
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

We also do all 4 have passports - thanks!
Old Jun 18th, 2014, 11:13 AM

Michelle... Here is a suggested agenda for a day trip to Niagara...

Drive and park at Goat Island on the US side.($10) walk along the rapids to the park ticket office and purchase Niagara USA Discovery Passes (adult $36 Kid $29 under 6 Free) ...

The pass includes Trolley around park, Maid of the Mist, Cave of the Winds, Adventure Theatre, Aquarium, Discovery Center... the Maid and Cave are must Do attractions, the others are good if you have time... by then, it may be lunch time... there is a restaurant called Top of the Falls in the park and a Hard Rock Cafe near the bridge...

I would then load up in the car and cross the Rainbow bridge into Canada and drive along the scenic road along the Falls... there are public lots along that route or you could drive it and park later...

There are three fun things for your group on the Canada side... Near the Falls is Clifton Hill... if you park there, wander up the Hill for shops, kiddie attractions, mini golf, museums, rides and arcades... touristy yet kids love it...

Down the parkway is the Butterfly conservatory... if you have never been to one, the kids will love it...

The Whirlpool Aero car rides above the Niagara Gorge giving a dramatic view of the water below... Your kids MAY be too young to really appreciate this...

Finally, there is Journey behind the Falls... Compared to Cave of the Winds, it is just OK and consists of watching water from a tunnel...

That is a full day covering all the main attraction plus a few more... Have Fun
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the itinerary garyt22! I appreciate it so much! We are all looking forward to it!
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 08:04 AM

I first went to Niagara when I was 9 with my parents and we did all the activities you mentioned. I was fine with all of them except the Aero Car over the Whirlpool.

I happened to be in the first seat with nothing but the open cage between me and the whirlpool and was very frightened as it crossed over the whirlpool. That was the first time I realized I had a fear of heights and am prone to vertigo in those situations.
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 08:07 AM

Clicked too soon.

I think the Aero Car itself has changed since I was a kid - as I said, it was a metal cage back then. But your kids might still be a little young for it.
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies! I am also a bit confused now, as I am seeing that the Top of the Falls restaurant (doing lunch there) is on the NY side - is Maid of the Mist on the Canada side? Also, is Cave of the Winds on the Canada or NY side? Just want to get the best view of the falls. Thanks!
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 11:52 AM

Cave of the Winds is on the NY side. It's a boardwalk that practically goes underneath the Bridal Veil Falls on the NY side and is a lot of fun. It's my favorite Niagara attraction. The Journey Behind the Falls is a similar concept -- you go thru' a tunnel and exit onto a platform very close to the horseshoe falls.

I know Maid of the Mist is on the Canadian side, but I have read here on Fodor's that it also leaves from the NY side as well.

You don't need to go to a tower to get a good view of the falls. You will see them up close and personal from both sides. And you really should try to see them from both sides - the views are different, but both are impressive. In NY you can walk along the rapids and stand inches away from both the Bridal Veil Falls and the Horseshoe Falls.

The last time I was there a few years ago we stayed in a falls view room at the Marriott on the Can. side. While it was nice to see the falls from that vantage point, it's not necessary. IMO, the best views are up close, when you can actually feel the spray and feel like more than a distant observer.
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 03:44 PM

Maid of the Mist is on the U.S. side only. Hornblower Tours has replaced MOTM on the Canadian side with 2 brand new 700 passenger boats that have washrooms and concessions and have online ticketing. They are offering early morning and night time cruises to see the illumination and fireworks from the boats.
http://www.niagaracruises.com/
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 03:48 PM

Just a correction... as of this year, Maid of the Mist is only on the US Side... there is a new boat company on the Canadian Side...

If you follow the one day agenda above,you will start in the US and be right next to the Falls as it goes over...after experiencing the USA Discovery Pass, then you will cross over to Canada to see the Panorama view of the US and Canadian Falls... both sides is the best way and it is easily done in a few hours...
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 07:05 AM

Oops, sorry for the outdated info. Really surprised that the MOTM has been replaced in Canada. It was an institution since I was a kid.