Reload this Page >

Off to Jazz Fest!!

Search

Off to Jazz Fest!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 06:02 AM
Bobgus

Off to Jazz Fest!!

<BR>I am off to the Montreal Jazz Festival for five days leaving next Thursday and I can't wait!!! I've already prpurchased a ticket for Pat Martino/Joey DeFrancesco and after viewing the schedule for the free shows, whew, I know I've made the right choice for my short summer break this year. Anybody else going?<BR>Ciao!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 07:02 AM
klam

We're heading there too, and are pretty stoked about it. After seeing the free concert listings, I don't know where to begin!<BR><BR>Just floors me...some of those concerts START at midnight!! I lived in Vancouver for a lot of years and in the past couple of years that place has become Deadsville. (It's still a beautiful place, and I love it there. Don't get me wrong.) <BR><BR>Our first visit to Montreal was in November and even then it had so much vibe we had to come back. Super glad we chose to do it during the Jazz Fest...we'll be there the week after you. <BR><BR>Have a great time!!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 07:38 AM
Louis

I have tickets for the John Pizzarelli and the Robert Lepage/Peter Gabriel Zulu Time shows.<BR><BR>Have a great time!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:32 AM
zootsi

Yeah! We're going up for 3 days on the 28th, just catching the free shows, which are usually a blast.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 10:48 AM
Donna

John Pizzarelli is fabulous! We saw him at Sale Wilfrid Pelletier a couple of years ago, and just last week in NYC. Enjoy!

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 02:21 PM
kris

I'll be there for the first time the 7th to the 10th.Can you just go to the concerts or do you have to have tickets?

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 03:02 PM
not sure

Kris,I think the festival ends on the 7th.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Carin

Hi! I'm leaving for Montreal tomorrow and want to go to Jazz Festival. Do you need tickets for everything? Is ther a website with information and show listings? Thanks!!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Donna

Yes, there's a website with a complete schedule listing and maps for all the venues. Most events are free.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 11:39 AM
zootsi

There are the free events, which are usually outside at one of the many bandstands setup around downtown. No tickets or anything else required - just stroll up to the bandstand you prefer, and enjoy. Then there are the ticketed concerts, at many of the theaters and clubs throughout the city. Many of these are already sold out. However, even if you just go to the free shows, you won't be disapointed, there is something for every taste. There are information booths downtown that give out the free paper with all the schedules and maps.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 01:36 PM
klam

zootsi (or anyone else!), perhaps you can answer a more practical question I have about the free concerts. <BR><BR>Do people bring chairs and blankets? How are the free venues set up (i.e., are there chairs like a regular concert or is it a stage in front of a piece of grass, or ??)?<BR><BR>I've checked out the Jazz Fest website for maps, schedules, etc., but there is no info on this aspect. Tia!

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 03:47 PM
syl

Klam,<BR>Don't bring chairs due to the thousands around you, especially on the big event evening.Generally, the free entertainment is held at different street venues on stages around Place des Arts. It is suggested that you get there early, especially if you're able to sit on one of the P.des A.steps. Watch your purse.Above all, enjoy.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 04:36 AM
zootsi

Most of the bandstands are on paved streets, not much room for sitting or blankets, although there are stairs and raised areas in the Place des Arts pavillion. A few are on grassy areas, and you might be able to sqeeze in a blanket or chairs. Realize most of the concerts run about 45 minutes, then you can walk over to another bandstand, beer tent, etc.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:20 AM
klam

Oh, I get it...thanx a mint syl and zootsi. Your info has saved us from lugging our chairs around (and irritating others!). We'll now go prepared to stand