Montreal Jazz Festival

Jun 2nd, 2004, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Montreal Jazz Festival

Headed to Montreal for the Jazz Festival. There are a few shows we want to see, but two of them appear to start at 6:00pm - early! And, they are indoors.

Can any veterans of the jazz festival tell us what time we would expect a 6:00pm show to end? (So we could make dinner reservations ...)

Also, what times do the outdoor shows run?

Would we be crazy to buy tix to the indoor events in advance? I think we will commit to a couple of them since we really want to see them.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 11:11 AM

I would buy tickets in advance for anybody I really wanted to see. I think you are safe making dinner reservations for 8:30 or 9:00 p.m. depending on how far away you are going to eat.

The fest website is www.montrealjazzfest.com and you can check whether the concerts you want are already sold out.

The schedule of outdoor shows comes out tomorrow. Starting at 6:00 p.m. there are usually two to three outdoor shows every hour, the last shows starting at 11:00 p.m. There will by more activity during the day on weekends than on weekdays but there is always something going on starting at noon.
Jun 2nd, 2004, 07:39 PM

Definitely get the indoor tickets as soon as you can; the jazz fest has die hard fans that snap up the tickets as soon as they go on sale !!
I agree that reserving for 9 p.m. should be fine.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:24 AM

If you want to see a fabulous indoor show, buy tickets for Jesse Cook. He plays outstanding flamenco guitar with new age/middle eastern accents.
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:18 AM

Tickets to the more popular indoor events could well be sold out by now. Reserve ASAP. However, even if you can't get tickets for your preferred artists, don't dispair - the festival is worth going to just for the free outdoor events, which are sometimes world class acts. Be prepared for huge crowds in the festival area, but everyone is well behaved and enjoying themselves. The more popular free shows usually start in the late afternoon, but there are acts going on from noon. Since there are usually 2 or 3 going on at the same time, it's sometimes a dilemma choosing which ones to see. PS: We saw Ibrahm Ferrar in concert a while back, and it was one of the best live shows I've ever seen!