Search

NS Cabot Trail

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2009, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NS Cabot Trail

This summer we will be staying 3 nights in Sydney, NS. (after spending 3 nights in Charlottetown PEI)

Our plan is to spend Day 1 driving around the full length of the Cabot Trail. Day 2 will be an easy drive and visit to Louisbourg fortress.

Given the length of time it takes to drive around Cape Breton, is it realistic to take in the Trail in one day?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thank you

jet29
Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:47 PM

We did it two years ago. We left early morning and did it in one day, although I would not recommend it if given the choice. It is a long drive and lots to stop and see. We were in the later part of OCtober so most places were closed anyhow, but you many want to stop. But in answer to your question, yes it is doable and a wonderful trip.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:23 PM
ron

This is what I did in one day. I left St Anns (near Baddeck)after Breakfast and drove the trail counter-clockwise. Note that I had earlier done a clockwise coach tour around the trail, with numerous photo-op stops, so I did few of those. I left the trail at Cape North and drove to Bay St Lawrence at the northern tip of the Island. I spent maybe 15 minutes there -- very pretty harbour but not much else. On the return drive south I stopped for maybe a half hour at the beach where John Cabot reputedly landed. After getting back on the trail, I stopped to take the short walk to the Lone Shieling and later stopped to do the 7 km Skyline Walk (well worth the effort). I arrived at Cheticamp where I stayed overnight.

Getting from and to Sydney will obviously involve additional driving for you.

I would wonder why you would want to stay 3 nights in
Sydney? Why not Baddeck the first night, Cheticamp the second and Sydney the third?
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:39 PM

I agree, we stayed one night in Baddeck. If you like museums there is an Alexander Graham Bell museum there which is great.
Cheticamp is a great place too. We only stopped there for a couple of hours, lunch and look around.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 05:39 PM
LJ

I only know Sydney as the place to catch the ferry to Newfoundland (which I have done WAY too many times to find it interesting so I may be doing it a disservice!)but I must say there are much more charming places to spend one's time in NS.I would definitely try Baddeck or Ingonish or just about anything else on the Cape.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 06:06 PM

I agree w/ LJ. I would skip Sydney altogether unless you have a compelling reason to stay there such as family. Here's what I would do:
Day 1:
Drive from Charlottetown to Baddeck ( about 4.5 hours). Stay in Baddeck that night. Explore Baddeck & the Bras D'or Lakes....Alexander Graham Bell Museum, a boat cruise..things liek that. I like the Inverary Inn but there are lots of other places.

Day 2:
Begin your tour of the Cabot Trail by leaving Baddeck & traveling counter-clockwise around the Cabot Trail. Stay in Ingonish that night @ Keltic Lodge( main lodge, not The Inn).
Explore the Ingonish area...beaches & hiking trails.

Day 3:
Continue your tour of the Cabot Trail ending in Baddeck.

Day 4: Visit Louisbourg
Old May 24th, 2009, 09:02 AM

We have done the trail counterclockwise as well in a day, keeping Baddeck as our central point. It doesn't give you a lot of time to stop and check things out, but it depends on what you want to do. We did have breakfast and lunch and stopped and toured the whale interpretation centre at Pleasant Bay. Also stopped many times for picture opps. Baddeck is my favorite spot to stay, lots of tourists around and a bustling spot in the summer. You can easily spend a day here checking out the museum, taking a boat tour of the lakes, and simply relaxing by the water at the marina with a cold one.

Louisbourg requires a full day to explore. There are many charming spots to stay there as well, and some excellent restaurants.
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments; greatly appreciated.

We chose Sydney simply as a base to explore Cape Breton. Going on our past experience we try to avoid "one-nighters" i.e. packing-and-unpacking our suitcases. Based on people's experience it seems possible to do Cabot Trail in 1 "long" day with a limited amount of stops. ( BTW - how does the Trail compare to the Big-Sur drive in CA as far as scenery and driving pleasure?

Following our stay in Sydney we are heading for 3 nights in Halifax and then crossing by ferry to Saint John NB for 2 nights, before heading home.

jet29
Old May 24th, 2009, 04:01 PM

What we meant is that if you are going to spend 3 nights in one place, then Baddeck would be a much more desirable place to stay than Sydney. Actually anywhere would be better than Sydney!
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:54 PM

What's the problem with Sydney? We were planning two nights at Lunenberg,two nights in Sydney and two nights at Cheticamp before going on to PEI via the ferry at Pictou. We thought this would mean less driving than staying at Baddeck and we would be nearer places such as Louisbourg, the Cabot Trail,whale watching and music in the evening. What do you think?
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:38 AM

joandg, it's not that there is any "problem" with Sydney. It's simply that there are much nicer places to stay. In terms of proximity to Louisbourg, the distance from Sydney to Louisbourg & Baddeck to Louisbourg is insignificant. You wld be "nearer" the Cabot Trail in Baddeck than Sydney. In fact, it is said that Baddeck is "the beginning & the end" of The Cabot Trail.
Do you have the NS Doers' & Dreamers' Travel Guide?
www.novascotia.com
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:05 AM
LJ

Yes, a word in defence of poor Sydney...there is nothing wrong with it...it is just a working town that services the ferries, other shipping and was home to the mining industry for a long, long time...its just sort of charmless whereas the other places named in CB have much more to offer for tourists.
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:24 AM

"charmless"...perfect way to describe Sydney, LJ.
But, FYI to anybody who opts to stay in Sydney, The Delta located on Sydney harbour, is an ok place to stay & there is a boardwalk where you can go for a stroll. And, a nice park called Wentworth Park not far from The Delta.
There is also a Cambridge Suites just south of Delta.
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:01 PM

Thanks OceanBreeze1 and LJ I will look at staying at Baddeck,it does sound a whole lot better than Sydney.Any recommendations for a good Inn for B&B?
Is it a good idea to stay at Cheticamp on our way round the Cabot Trail?
I do have the Doers and Dreamers guide, the tourist office sent it really quickly to me here in the UK, it's very useful I will take it to bed with me tonight!!
Your help is much appreciated