NS 5d4nt -help w/ itin.

Feb 4th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

NS 5d4nt -help w/ itin.

My husband and I and another couple are planning a trip to NS late July. We have kids and other obligations therefore we only have 4 nights which we can be away...
What do you suggest as a itinerary.
We are ACTIVE. We like to hike, bike and kayak. And we enjoy wine and food. Open to suggestions with regards to lodging...like higher end places. Money not really a issue- have noticed it is quite reasonable in Ca. Also, would love to find a great town with a irish feel that has a pub or two in it. Should we even attempt to get to Cape Breton Is. I guess we could fly into Hlfx and out of Sydney...
Ok, i am rambling...help!!
thanks for any all suggestions.
Lisa
Feb 5th, 2006, 04:11 AM

With only 4 nights, I would fly into Halifax and use it as my central point. Halifax has lots of great restaurants and pubs and you could do a daytrip either towards Lunenburg or the Annapolis Valley.
Feb 5th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

ok. on the map lunenburg and the other side of nova scotia dont seem far. maybe 2 or 3 hours at the most...
we cover alot of territory when we travel. for instance, we went to san fran 2 years ago and saw a bit of the wine country as well as monterrey, carmel and the coast all the way up and down the pch.
so, with that said you say to still do day trip? i dont really want to stay in the city the whole time.
thanks
Feb 6th, 2006, 02:55 AM

I would recommend spending two days in Halifax to explore. You will definitely get your walking in with all of the hills. Spring Garden Road, the Public Gardens, Citadel Hill, the Waterfront, Point Pleasant Park, etc. all good spots to explore.

Take a day and head to the Annapolis Valley. There is some good hiking at Blomidon Park (check out this website www.trails.gov.ns.ca). While in the area, you can visit Grand Pre, home of Evangeline and the Acadians. Grand Pre Winery is close by with a wonderful restaurant. The Tangled Garden is a nice little spot to visit with their homemade delicacies. The Tempest restaurant in Wolfville is great. Stay at the Blomidon Inn.

You can then drive across country and spend a day exploring the South Shore - Lunenburg, Chester, Mahone Bay, Peggy's Cove, etc.
Feb 6th, 2006, 08:02 AM
ltt

while cape breton is fabulous...with only 4 nights, i'd stay 2 in halifax, one night around mahone bay and then return to halifax for your final night so you are close to the airport.
but, if you really want to focus on hiking and beautiful scenary, jump in the car and head right away to cape breton. stay all 4 nights around igonish and do day trips for hiking, louisburg etc. if price is not an issue, consider http://www.destinnations.com/canada/...ltic_lodge.htm
Feb 6th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

these are all great ideas. i am taking it all in and was thinking of staying at the Keltic Inn if we headed to CB.
anybody have anything to say about Peggy's Cove...lodging?
Or Mahone Bay?
Has anyone heard of Trout Point Lodge on the Tusket and Napier River?
Feb 6th, 2006, 10:08 AM

My first trip to NS 2 yrs ago, we spent the first night in Halifax, and after a leisurely stroll through the market place, drove to Peggy's Cove, Chester, Mahone Bay and spent the night in Lunnenberg. The next day we drove across to Digby, did a whale watch and spent the night at The Pines (if money isn't an issue)If you look at a map there is a national park called Keji (shortened version as I'm not sure of spelling) wonderful hikes, kayaking and canoeing, midway between one coast and the other. The next day we drove through the Annapolis Valley, towards Wolfeville making a side trip to Halls Harbor to visit the studio of a wonderful NS artist John Neville. Had lunch at the Lobster Pot (think that's what it's called) if you like lobster, can't beat it! We ended up in Wolfville for the night and had our celebratory dinner at the Grande Pre restaurant. Fabulous food and I am from a city with a million great restaurants. We slowly drove back to Halifax and flew home the next day. I fell so in love with NS that I am now a priveledged home owner. Where ever you go you will enjoy it!
Feb 6th, 2006, 04:47 PM

http://www.rosewoodonthecove.com/

I have heard great things about this place and I believe they recently won an award for tourism
Feb 8th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much for all the input so far.
still planning so still interested in suggestions.