north vancouver rental?

May 19th, 2006, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

north vancouver rental?

What do you fodorites think of renting in an area called "north vancouver"? It's cheaper, but is it too far from restaurants, parks, etc? We'll be traveling with a toddler.
May 19th, 2006, 08:30 AM

North Van is a beautiful area but when you say renting are you talking about a motel? Most of the motels in NV are in close proximity to the Lions Gate Bridge which is a very handy spot. However, there are some in a totally different end of town that would be out of the way and closer to the other bridge. Do you have the name of the motel or are you renting something privately???
May 19th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

well, i was looking at vrbo.com for condo rentals because of the toddler, and they seem much less expensive, but i don't know how inconvenient it is to the rest of the city. we live in manhattan, so i was wondering if it's more like an outer borough, or more like the suburbs?
May 19th, 2006, 08:56 AM

Hello again. I can tell you that I was born, raised and lived in North Van until my husband retired and we moved to Vancouver Island. North Van is just across the harbour from Vancouver and if you are going to spend any length of time in the area you couldn't choose a better spot. I assume you will have a car? Again it depends on what part the rental is in if you are dependant on local transportation. We do have a great system in Vancouver "Skytrain" which links up with "Seabus" which commutes across the harbour. North Van is quite large in area. We have wonderful tourist attractions right there - Grouse Mountain, Lynn Canyon, Deep Cove, Capilano Suspension Bridge
(Lynn Canyon bridge is free). Just across the Lions Gate Bridge is Stanley Park. The Upper Levels Highway also runs through North Van and if you have a car you can be in Horseshoe Bay (West Van) in no time and that is the start of the highway??? to Whistler etc.

So the answer is absolutely North Van but again you really need a car to see the sights.

Let me know the area (or address or VRBO number) and I can tell you exactly where you would be and how long it would take to get to these areas.
May 19th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

thanks traveller69, I was looking at these two listings on vrbo.com 69082 and 79057
May 19th, 2006, 09:15 AM

Ok - I will check them both out and get back to you a little later!!!
May 19th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

thanks! will check back in a while
May 19th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Hi Again

I just checked them both out. They are both in the eastern part of North Van which means you really need a car for either location. 69082 - in that area you would be close to Mount Seymour, Deep Cove etc. The other one is a little closer in and is close to Lynn Canyon. Both locations are close to the Upper Levels Highway which gets you anywhere quickly.
I think as I said if you have a car it is personal preference as to the suites themselves. Personally I would go for 79057 just to be a little closer.
Just one thing - bring an umbrella - if it is raining - you are in the heart of our wettest area!!! Think positive - nothing but sunshine!! Enjoy!!!
May 19th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much! It was very sweet of you to take the time. We are looking forward very much to visiting vancouver!
May 19th, 2006, 07:33 PM

You are so welcome. When you see the postcard pictures of Vancouver the background of mountains is actually the north shore - just to put it into perspective.

Have a wonderful visit and if you have any more questions - just post them.
May 21st, 2006, 06:15 AM

I'm also a North Vancouver native - I live in Toronto now.

I'll voice another opinion - I don't think staying in Lynn Valley at all approximates visiting Vancouver. It's a nice suburban neighbourhood but will involve a lot of driving to see the sites in Vancouver. I'm very familiar with NYC and to answer your question - it's much more like the suburbs than an outer borough.

For the extra money I'd suggest you stay in the "West End" - many apartment buildings (on VBRO) or apartment hotels. From there you can take your toddler in a stroller all over the parks and interesting streets and galleries and some fabulous restaurants - very different from NYC cuisine. If you stay in Lynn Valley you'll be far less likely to eat "over town" (as it's called).

Here's a link to a Fodors favourite hotel right on the beach in the West End - they have suites under $200/night

http://www.sylviahotel.com/rooms.htm

Elizabeth