Search

Maligne lake spirit island cruise

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2006, 12:30 PM
njs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maligne lake spirit island cruise

Is it safe for a 5.5 month pregnant woman to take the 90 minute sprit island cruise?

Does the boat jump a lot?
Old May 17th, 2006, 12:32 PM
njs
Original Poster

Also is the jasper tramway or sulphur mountain gondola or snow coach unsafe in anyway for a pregnant woman?

Doctor has said its ok to go for vacation. But we are not sure how much vibration would be present in these attractions.
Thanks
Old May 17th, 2006, 03:35 PM

You should be fine with any of those attractions. I haven't been on the Icefield Snocoach, so I'm not sure how much vibration there is, but the Tramway and the Gondola are both very smooth rides. The cruise to Spirit Island should also be smooth, unless the weather is really bad and the water gets really choppy - but then you probably wouldn't go on the cruise anyways. The thing you would have to be most careful with is watching your footing at the top of the Gondola or Tramway or on the Glacier. The paths are generally very good, but there are some uneven spots or loose rock if you get off the path. Also, remember the air is thinner up there, so don't overdo it. You should have no problems.
Old May 17th, 2006, 05:44 PM

My wife recommends strongly that the mom to be not try walking on the glacier.
When we took the trip from the Icefields Center onto the glacier, the sno coach stopped and passengers got out so they could experience the flat part of the ice.

Most of us took some type of prat fall.
I don't know if the practice of allowing people to experience that type of walking continues or not.

To be perfectly honest about it, I have taken the Spirit Island cruise twice, and the second time was even more unimpressive than the first.

Hate to say it, but it is no big deal.
The Swiss style Luftseilbahn that goes up the Whistler leads to a more impressive view of the mountains all around.

Old May 19th, 2006, 10:09 AM

Bob,

You have helpful and interesting information everywhere it seems. I'm going to banff/jasper for the first time in july. I live in michigan and keep a large poster of the spirit island setting above my desk at work. The scene is so serene and i've wanted to see it for years but i've been reading a fair amount of posts that say its overrated in comparison to other views. Do you reccomend skipping it to spend time at other sites for the first timer? I know its costly for a family of 5 as well. Ive also read a great deal of wildlife can be seen on the route there..is this true in your experience? Your answer to all this will probaly determine what i do.
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Hello vgronek,

I'm not bob_brown (obviously).

We've seen wildlife of one kind or another every time we've driven the road to Maligne Lake. For that reason alone, I think it's worth doing the hour-long drive from Jasper townsite to Maligne Lake.

I've done the cruise to Spirit Island several times, and have not tired of it. I've enjoyed that view of Spirit Island that makes it onto so many calendars and posters. I feel the explanation of the area's natural history that you hear on the boat is worthwhile too.

However, I've noticed that several people on the travel discussion forums say they found the experience underwhelming. Bob is one of them. I believe laurafromtexas also said that, of the activities they paid to do in the Canadian Rockies, they felt the cruise across Maligne Lake was the least worthwhile.

I would say that, if cost is not a consideration and if you have the time, it's worth doing the cruise to Spirit Island. I would say that, if cost is an issue at all, it's not worth doing it.

In fact, you can have a great time in the Canadian Rockies even if you do not undertake any of the activities that cost extra money (the gondola rides, etc.).

The hiking in the mountains is superb. Even without hiking, you can see stupendous lakes like Moraine, Emerald, Peyto and Louise, you can walk in delightful canyons like Maligne and Johnston, and you can see nice falls like Takakkaw, Sunwapta and Athabasca.
Old May 19th, 2006, 11:29 AM

By the way, if you go to the Jasper area, do include the (free) drive to Mount Edith Cavell. Stop a couple of times on the way to look down at the views of the Astoria River Valley. If, when you reach the trailhead, you feel up to the Angel Glacier / Cavell Meadows hike, so much the better.

Also, do include Maligne Canyon in your itinerary. It is neat.
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:09 PM

On the boat trip to Spirit Island, I have seen nothing wild but homo sapiens.
On the road, I once spotted a huge bull elk in the trees, and I have some good pictures of this elegant creature. Someone asked me if I was not afraid to get so close.

No. The trees were very dense and I figured he could not run too fast through the trees with that huge rack of antlers.

Sorry if I sound like a wet blanket on Spirit Island. I still think it was a waste of time.

Mount Edith Cavell, Mt. Robson, Athabasca Falls, The Falls of Beauty Creek (known to a few), the glaciers, the whole Icefields Parkway experience, Bow Glacier, and on and on are definitely worthwhile.

The hikes I have taken on the Whaleback and the Iceline trails, the Yunkness Ledge, the Lake McArthur highline trail, the Plain of Six Glaciers, and a few more are all fantastic memories.

I guess when I put the Isle of Sprits up against that very formidable competition, it drops way down on the list.

Oh yes, I left out Waterfall Valley in Yoho. One has to know where it is to get there, but once you go, you will never forget it.

I wasn't aware that pregnant women were so fragile! A girl in my bowling league dropped out at the start of the 8th month! Then she was back about 7 weeks post partum!!

I guess she should not have done it.
Old May 20th, 2006, 08:53 PM

The Maligne Lake cruise is very gentle as it is more a sightseeing cruise than a "speed boat" cruise. Also, since it is a small lake, the water is quite calm. The skytram is very gentle, too, with only one rocking (not bumping!) motion when the tram crosses over the support tower during the trip. The snow coach is also quite smooth, but I agree with the previous poster who suggested that it wouldn't be a great idea to be walking on the ice at 5.5 months pregnant. Although much less slick than an ice rink, it is ice nonetheless. Have fun!
Old May 21st, 2006, 11:33 PM

Hi Vgronek,

Having been on the Spirit Island cruise twice, I agree with Judy. If you are going to Jasper and have wanted to see Spirit Island for years, don't pass up the opportunity to see it person (you will only regret it later if you don't go). That said, both Judy and Bob Brown have excellent suggestions on other things to see and do (now I will have to find out from Bob on how to get to the Falls of Beauty Creek!).