Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Need help -- beginning to plan 06 trip to Nova Scotia!

Jun 21st, 2005, 09:03 PM
Original Poster

I have ordered all the brochures I can find online, and I am reading everything I can get my hands on. We will have to request vacation time, so please offer suggestions for best time of year and average length of time needed for a great vacation to this area. From what I've read, it looks like July is one of the best months, and it looks like a week may not be long enough. Would 10 days be too short for an enjoyable trip where we could see some of the places you all advise visiting? Fodorites have always been our saving grace for some fantastic vacations, and we are counting on your help for this one, too. As always, thanks for the advice!
Jun 22nd, 2005, 03:21 AM

Personally, August is a great month to visit NS. Where are you coming from (method of transportation or entry point into Province) and perhaps if you indicate what you think is interesting or what your interests are we can narrow down some choices for you.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:43 AM
ltt

i'm planning my first trip there and have scheduled 18 days. if i could add on another 4, i'd love it. from what i've read, 5 days in cape breton alone is needed to really enjoy it and see all the sights. but, we all take what we can get but i'd say a week is definitly too short to enjoy the whole province.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:36 AM

September gets my vote for the best time of year to visit. All the crowds have gone, everything is still open, often rates on lodging have dropped and the weather is glorious......summer tends to have lots of fog.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

We will be flying in from the southern US, and renting a car. We're unfamiliar with the ferry travel there, but we are reading up on it.

We are not retired, so we have to travel with vacation time we can get from our jobs. Since we're both in the medical profession, it's tough to get more than 10 days at a time. We recently enjoyed our first 2 week vacation in many years to travel around Alaska, and I doubt we'd be able to get that kind of time again next year. I like the idea of going in September or August. What's the weather/temp then? It'd be easier to get time off in September, but I was afraid that'd be too late in the season to travel there.

I really appreciate your input. Thanks for all the advice you can offer.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 02:00 AM

September is typically nice but not hot weather. The days are warm but you will need a sweater in the evenings. I would suggest the earlier part of September.

What type of activities do you like? Ten days you can explore a few parts of the Province. I assume you have the Doers and Dreamers Guide to NS. If not, this is the one piece of info you should look at.

Cape Breton is always a must when in Nova Scotia. The ruggedness of the Cabot Trail and its majestic views are not to be missed. The trip towards Parrsboro is a great drive especially if you get to see the tides in action. Tatamagouche/Pictou area has a lot to offer. You should plan at least one day in our capital city, Halifax. Everyone loves the drive towards Lunenburg. And then there is the other end of the Province, Yarmouth-Digby-Valley, that is totally different from the other parts of NS. So it depends on what you like to do and see.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:01 AM

Just to throw this out there... Early/mid October is also spectacular. That's one of my favourite times of year. All the leaves will be turning and, although the weather is crisp (certainly not freezing), it makes for an incredibly cozy atmosphere! And I'm guessing, being from the Southern States, you're likely not coming here for the weather anyway!! There's also a huge international festival here in Cape Breton then (www.celtic-colours.com)if that's something you might be interested in. It takes place in formal and more intimate venues all over the island. Happy planning!
Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:08 AM

Forgot to mention - Environment Canada lists avg temperatures (in Celcius) for Cape Breton at:

Aug: 18 - 19
Sept: 13 - 14
Oct: 8 - 9

You'll find some variation across the island and around the mainland, and as mentioned in a previous post, evenings get cooler. Also, keep in mind that these are just averages - what we actually get could be a whole other story!
Jun 23rd, 2005, 09:05 AM

Depending on what your likes/dislikes, a lot of touristy operations close down after Thanksgiving which is in early October. Early October is nice, but my choice, if you don't want to see the fantastic fall foilage, is early late August/early September.
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Tanya and Scotia Girl! You have given us a lot to think about. As said in my original post, I've ordered brochures--still anxiously awaiting their arrival. I know I'll be even more excited when they arrive, and I'm sure I'll have more questions,too. =)

I hadn't considered the fall leaves . . . what a great idea! Now you have really thrown me for a loop.;-)We don't have the dramatic leaf change in the deep south that you do.

How's the whale viewing off NS? We try to include whale watching when we're in a good location for it.

DH & I both have some Acadian ancestry, so we'd be interested in that if not too far out of the way of the most scenic areas. We avoid crowds and touristy entrapments at all costs, but a local festival might be nice.

This is a trip we've wanted to make for a very long time. Thanks again for your help!
Jun 25th, 2005, 03:11 AM

Well, Fall is absolutely breathtaking with the change in the leaves and if you don't experience it in your part of the country, I would highly recommend it. The first two weeks of October should give you great color. Typically around Canadian Thanksgiving.

As for whale watching, I believe late August or early September is best off the coast but you could check with these two operators. One is located in Brier Island (off Digby - Acadian country) [email protected]. The 2nd is in Cape Breton at Pleasant Bay [email protected]

Your acadian history, well Cheticamp in Cape Breton (www.cheticampns.com) has a rich history. Grand Pre is a historic site located in the Annapolis Valley which depicts the history and deportation of the Acadians from NS - www.valleyweb.com/grandpre . Along that shore is Clare, Church Point, Digby, etc. all with acadian roots.