Halifax/Late September

Search

Halifax/Late September

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halifax/Late September

I am thinking about going to Halifax in late September this year. Need help - what is the weather like then - is it a good time to go, or is it to late in the season. Also need help with planning trip. Is it to late to do whale watching trips? Are there any places to stay in Peggy's Cove or should we do that as a day trip from Halifax? Need lots of help.
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 06:15 PM

I'll top this for you by saying I think late September is likely to be a great time to go, weather-wise. As for Peggy's Cove, it's a great place to take a some pictures but I would never want to make an overnight trip out of it (if that's even possible). A few hours is plenty of time. There just isn't enough there to justify any more than that, IMHO.

Get the official tourism guide; you can order it online:

http://explore.gov.ns.ca/

Nova Scotia is a great place to go and the people are wonderful, too.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:32 AM

Usually late September is beautiful in Nova Scotia not too rainy with warm days and cool nights. You may even get lucky and have beach weather. As far as Peggy's Cove goes I would visit as a day trip from Halifax like Flyboy said a few hours should be plenty to see the area.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

What about whales? Is it to late to see them. If not, what is the best area to do a whale watching tour? Also what are some other day trips. Should we stay somewhere else part of the time, or is there enough to see and do in and around Halifax for 8-10 days?
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 01:42 PM

I guess it would depend on what you want to do. We went to the Maritimes last year the first two weeks in Oct, and we caught the changing of the leaves just perfect! We did find that many of the tourist places shut down after the Thanksgiving weekend in Oct. We also did a couple of whalewatching trips as well. If you're going to have 10 days, I would suggest that you check out Annapolis Royal, they have GORGEOUS B&Bs there. We stayed at Queen Anne's and it was beautful. Wished we had time for another night there. The area is very pretty.
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 01:47 PM

As far as I know the whales chase the fish inland in warmer waters. The water off of NS would be very warm that time of year and I believe the whales are still in abundance. You can do a tour off of Halifax Harbour, towards Digby Neck/Tiverton or in Cape Breton at Cheticamp/Pleasant Bay area.

The best thing to do that time of year is just start driving and stop where you enjoy the scenery and surroundings. Cape Breton will be lovely and the leaves just changing. The fall foilage is in full color around the Cdn Thanksgiving. The trail is absolutely breathtaking! If you want to spend a night at the Keltic, I would recommend a reservation since bus tours are abundant and usually will stay there. Otherwise, you shouldn't have any trouble getting a room. What are your interests? It may help to set your agenda!