Need clean BUT inexpensive place to stay in Vancouver -

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21st, 2003, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need clean BUT inexpensive place to stay in Vancouver -

Has anyone stayed at a clean but inexpensive
hotel/motel/B&B in Vancouver?

We will be gone everyday-all day and really would rather have extra money to spend on
tours etc.

Thanks

Old Jun 21st, 2003, 05:12 PM

Hi: We (family) stayed last year for 3 days. It wasn't an inexpensive hotel we stayed at but we got a very good rate using the Entertainment Card which can be ordered from www.entertainment.com. The Vancouver Book costs $10.00 (it says $36. but when you go to check out the price is reduced since half the year is over) plus $5.00 postage. Last year there were quite a few hotels listed which takes the entertainment card which claims 50% off book rate. We called three hotels from the listings and they all accepted the entertainment card rate for the days requested (we called about 3-4 weeks ahead. You then show up at check-in and present the gold card included inside the Book. The specially-listed hotels tend to be on the high moderate and above side, but the savings puts you into a nicer hotel for the price of lower cost places. It can also be used for most of the major hotel chains for a 20% discount. They are listed in the back of the book. I've never used that part of it, but if I were to I'd call the hotel, ask for the best rate, and then mention you have the Entertainment Book and would like a discounted rate.
Also, the Book has tons of discount tickets (usually buy one get one free) at all major attractions, and hundreds of restaurants. We used it at Grouse Mtn, Capiolani Suspension Bridge, IMAX Theatres, Sun Yat-Sen Gardens, etc. Altogether, we figured we saved approximately $500.00 using it.
Anyway, even if you don't use it for the hotel/motel, you'll save good money for the other discounts. It only takes about 4 business days to receive it after ordering.
I realize this doesn't answer your question directly, but you seem to be like our family. Like to do lots but have to keep an eye on the bottom line. I hope this proves helpful. Have a great trip- we loved Vancounver.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 05:53 PM

Vancouver is a city that offers great deals on Priceline. I stayed at the Hyatt for $45 U.S. Take a look at biddingfortravel.com to see what hotels are going for these days.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 06:31 PM

I think that the YMCA Hotel may be a good idea for you. I have heard it mentioned on this board a few times and it has gotten good reviews. I looked at the website. I think it looks nice-especially since all you want is a clean place to sleep.
http://www.vanymca.org/NoFrame/Accommodation/
Old Jun 22nd, 2003, 01:04 PM

Try http://www.kingstonhotelvancouver.com/
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 07:45 AM

check out Orbitz, they have some really great deals on hotels in the area, and you can check out the ammeneties to find somehting that fits your needs.
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 03:20 PM

The Days Inn on West Pender. It's right downtown and is about $100 Canadian per night. It is clean and a great location.
Marilyn
Old Jun 23rd, 2003, 04:24 PM

I second the recommendation of staying at the YWCA Hotel in Vancouver. It is clean, inexpensive, safe, centrally located within walking distance of downtown Vancouver, and 1 block from the skytrain station which will take you further afield. Check it out at www.ywcahotel.com, and enjoy your visit.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 07:17 AM

That website address was a lot better than the one I gave! Wow! It really does look nice (is the ymca and ywca 2 seperate hotels?)
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:07 AM

YMCA and YWCA are two different hotels. The YMCA looks better located to me. And yes, the YMCA booking page was down last I checked. <g> May book here as a backup for an upcoming trip to Vancouver, in case Priceline doesn't give it up under my limit (unlikely, but...)
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 08:32 AM

Just to clarify the above, the YWCA Hotel welcomes both men and women. I don't think you would be disappointed.