Need advice on summer trip to Banff

May 30th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Anne

Need advice on summer trip to Banff

My family and I are travelling to Banff this July. We plan to be there for four nights. We currently have hotel reservations in Banff for all four nights (at the Rimrock Hotel). My question is: Should we stay in Banff all four nights and just do day trips to Lake Louise and the Icefields Parkway, OR. . . should we stay in Banff for two nights and then move to Lake Louise for the next two nights to explore Lake Louise and the Icefields Parkway from there. I will be travelling with husband and two kids

Thanks for any advice!!

May 30th, 2002, 06:41 PM
jer

I would recommend staying in Banff and taking daytrips.

May 30th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Bob Brown

The Icefields Parkway runs all the way from just north of Lake Louise Village all the way to Jasper. Every mile of it is beautiful. See as much of it as you can. I think you will find that 4 days is inadequate for one trip. You will be spreading your sightseeing a little thin as it is.

Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:01 AM
x

i don't think changing hotels would be worth it. stay put and do day trips.

Jun 3rd, 2002, 02:36 PM
Anne

Thanks. . it sounds like the unanimous opinion is to stay in one place. I appreciate the advice! We're looking forward to seeing the Rockies for the FIRST TIME!!

Jun 3rd, 2002, 06:27 PM
different

I hate to muddy the waters, but....it depends on what you are planning to do and how old your kids are. If the kids are old enough to hike, I would definitely stay at Lake Louise two nights. Lake Louise is not only more central, it is in a beautiful location. It's very close to Morraine Lake, too. Morraine Lake and Lake Louise both have great trails. I think you can even rent canoes at Lake Louise. You could easily spend one day hiking to the tea house at Lake Louise, and maybe seeing Morraine Lake and another day going up to Emerald Lake and the area of the Icefields Parkway where you can take the snow cat up and walk on the glacier. Lake Louise is closer to it all. Also, there is more isolated lodging at Emerald Lake and Morraine Lake. Banff is a town, and the kids will be doing town things when they walk out the door. At Lake Louise, you will be in the outdoors and in the mountains.

Jun 4th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Anne

Now I'm perplexed. Our kids are 14 and 11 and we all love to hike. I do have reservations for two nights at the Lake Louise Inn in case that is what we decided to do, so maybe we should stay up near there and concentrate on that area for two days. Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

Jun 4th, 2002, 07:18 PM
molly

Anne, I haven't actually been to the Banff area yet, so perhaps I'm not qualified to give advise; however,after extensive research,my husband and I have decided to stay in the Lake Louise area and do a day trip into Banff. As "different" said, L.L. much closer to the best trails and it sounds like a beautiful area in which to appreciate the outdoors. In contrast, Banff sounds like a more crowded, touristy experience.
hope this helps - have a great trip!

Jun 4th, 2002, 11:00 PM
different

Anne, Given the age of your kids and that they enjoy the outdoors, I think they'd love staying at Lake Louise. My husband and I went for a week, before kids, and stayed at Deer Lodge at Lake Louise our entire week in Banff. We visited the town of Banff and enjoyed it, but wouldn't have wanted to stay there.

We used Michelin's Green Guide to Canada, by the way, to plot our trip and our stops. They point out some stops you would otherwise miss, like a steep hill climb on the Icefields Parkway, where you trudge on switchbacks to the top, and get an incredible view of a valley with a glacier tongue carving it, with sheep on the cliffs, and golden eagles soaring below! I forget the name, but I'll look for my guide tomorrow and get back, if I find it.

You might want to pick up a copy of this guide book. It might help you get a feel for what you want to do, time and distances, and that might make your decisions easier.

(I empathize. I occasionally double book until I have time to figure out what is best for us.)

Jun 5th, 2002, 07:00 AM
p

if you like to hike, split the nights between the two.