Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Hotel in Calgary (late arrival) before heading to Banff.

May 6th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Lila

Looks like we'll be landing in Calgary at 11:00 pm. We thought we would drive directly to Banff from the airport but seeing it'll be so late, figure it would be cheaper & less tiring to spend the night in Calgary, see a little of Calgary the next morning and drive to Banff late afternoon. Can anyone recommend a hotel (nothing expensive as we'll only be there a few hours!) we should stay at that's not far from the airport but also will not be far from the direction we must take to get to Banff. We'll be spending our last day/night in Calgary before our flight home (we're thinking of either the Best Western Suites or the Sheraton Suite Eau Claire. . .anybody have any comments on either)? Thanks so very much for any comments/suggestions.

May 6th, 2002, 12:39 PM
traveller

Why not just stay at the airport hotel? I can't remember the name. I believe it is a Canadian Pacific Hotel. Perhaps someone else can help out. Rooms are pretty standard.

I have stayed at the Sheraton Eau Claire and found it wonderful. I always stay on the gold floor, more money but much nicer rooms, a lovely breakfast, free cocktail hour with the manager. It seems to work out for less when you consider the add ons. And it is right next to Eau Claire Market.

May 6th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Lila

Thanks Traveller! Did you hear the planes roaring overhead while at the airport hotel (I once stayed at an airport hotel and the planes flew so close, I could wave to the pilots!). I didn't consider the gold floor at the Sheraton but seeing as it will be our "last" night of our "honeymoon/1st anniversary" vacation, maybe we should splurge. Thanks again for responding!

May 6th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Dianne

I stayed at the Delta which is right in the airport. It was very nice and quiet. I don't know the price though, because Air Canada paid for me (flight problems).

May 6th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Aarti

Hi Lila. My husband and I were in Calgary/Banff last december. Our flight got in late but we decided to head straight to Banff instead of satying the night in Calgary. It was a smooth drive and we made it to Banff in little over an hour. Wasnt tiring at all! In fact, i was glad we did that because we were able to squeeze in more time in Banff (it is so pretty!) And considering you're spending a night in Calgary upon your return, just something to think about...

May 7th, 2002, 05:15 AM
rita

Lila, for your return stay I would definately recommend the Sheraton Suites at Eau Claire. It is a fairly new hotel (built in the last five years) and I have heard nothing but good things about it. If you are looking for a memorable dinner on your last evening ask the concierge to book you a table at the River Cafe. This restaurant is located in the middle of Princess Island Park, very close to the hotel (the only way to get to it is to walk). Very good food and lots of atmosphere.

As for the night in Calgary before you leave there are a few options. The hotel right at the terminal is now a Delta (sorry Traveller but it has changed hands and is no longer a CP Hotel). Calgary's airport is not that busy at night and the landing routes do not take you over top of the hotel so noise should not be a huge factor. Alternate hotels whould be the Sheraton at the Airport (about a 5 minute drive away) or the Greenwood Inn (same distance). There is a Hilton but it is fairly close to one of the runways so I wouldn't recommend it.

enjoy

May 7th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Lila

Dianne, Aarti, Rita - thank you so very much for taking the time to respond with your great suggestions. I would like to try and drive to Baniff upon arrival so maybe we'll give that a shot (but I'll check out the Delta). I'll definitely make a reservation at the Sheraton Eau Claire for our last night (keep hearing nice things about that hotel).

May 7th, 2002, 06:33 AM
traveller

I have stayed at the Greenwood several times. It is a lovely hotel. Very quiet. The airport hotel, we found quite quiet as well.

The Sheraton, do book the gold floor, especially since it is your last night. It is accessible only by private key to the floor. Very quiet and elegant. Lovely lounge. They advertise it as a continental breakfast but we found it to be more of a meal with bacon, etc.

May 7th, 2002, 06:47 AM
x

if you drive to banff at night, just be careful of animals on the road. watch for the shinning eyes on the side of the road.

May 7th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Island Girl

I was just going to post the same thing...I would be wary of driving to Banff that late at night because of the danger of animals on the road. It can cause some serious damage to you if you hit a deer or something bigger.

There is a Sheraton on the west side of the city which would be on your way to Banff. You could drive there from the airport and be able to make an early start to Banff in the morning. Then stay at the Sheraton in Eau Claire on your last night. Have fun!

May 7th, 2002, 08:32 AM
traveller

Good points about the wildlife. Do be extra cautious. The Greenwood Inn is right behind the Sheraton that is near the airport and IMHO, is much nicer and certainly newer than the Sheraton.

Having smacked a deer while riding a motorcycle some years ago (and I know about wildlife), if you aren't used to looking for them or even if you glance away for a bit, they are really not fun. Deer are the worst I think. They just seem to bound out of nowhere.

You shouldn't experience much of a problem during daylight, they seem to be out more at dusk and dawn. But don't let that rule fool you. Be on the lookout.

May 8th, 2002, 12:55 AM
Aarti

The government of Canada has made a kind of 'fence' system all along the highway running from Calgary to Banff to prevent animals from getting hit/hurt by drivers. I still think its not a bad idea to drive at night. Of course being careful never hurt anyone, but I wouldnt hold back if animals were the only concern..in fact, we didnt even encounter one deer on the road while we were there!

May 8th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Lila

Oh my! You're right - if we hit an animal on the way to Banff, well that would be the end of our vacation (I don't think I could get over that). I think we'll play it safe and book a hotel for the night (also w/the time difference it'll be more like 1:00 am for us when we arrive). I'll check into the Greenwood (the Delta is approx. $185 Cdn w/taxes a night!. . .which I wouldn't mind so much if we weren't going to be there just for a few hours). Thanks again everyone!!!

May 8th, 2002, 03:38 PM
traveler A

Try aircanada.ca on wednesdays for websaver hotel rates. Delta in Calgary often has very low rates.

May 13th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Maria

lila,

just one more opinion, but here goes....we landed in Calgary from Minneapolis at 11:00 p.m. and stayed at the Delta Airport Hotel. Same thing on our way back into Calgary for an early a.m. departure. Besides avoiding a late night drive after several hours of travel we figured we saved one or two days of car rental by not picking the car up until the next morning when we were ready to depart and dropping it the night before our departure which more than paid for the slightly pricier rooms at the Delta. I agree that the Calgary airport is very quiet at night and we have never been disturbed by airplane noise during any of our stays there.

Maria

May 15th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Lila

We'll it now appears we'll be arriving in Calgary around 6:00 pm instead of 11:00 pm (I tell you, trying to book the best airfare off the internet can drive one crazy - what's availabe one day is not always offered the next. . .but may come up a week later for less!! If you have the time, keep checking these internet fares from every "individual" airport serving your area) every day for a week or so before booking. . .and don't check again because you'll get upset if the fare is even less the next day. Well that said, I figure once we claim our baggage and get our car, it would not be worth driving to Banff (and spending approx. $200US on our 1st night) so I went and booked at the Econolodge Banff Trail (at approx. $55 US). We'll be able to splurge on a fanatasic dinner our 1st official night in the Rockies! Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. Keep them coming!!

May 31st, 2002, 09:20 AM
Terri

There's a great Greek restaurant in downtown Banff called Balkan. Check it out!

Jun 2nd, 2002, 01:22 AM
Will

Check out the Econolodge Banff Trail. It is on the west side of Calgary and it was cheap! I paid $50CDN and it wasn't bad, very basic but clean and safe. I would't drive to Banff at night. The drive is one of the best parts.

Jun 5th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Lila

Thanks Wills - actually I did make reservations at the EconoLodge Banff Trail. Although the price we got was more like $84Cdn. But it's good to know that it was a clean and safe place to stay.