Must See Architecture in Toronto

Old Aug 29th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must See Architecture in Toronto

Coming to Toronto this weekend. We've seen the museums and the CN tower. Our focus this trip is primarily to see some of the great architecture. We only have 2 full days so I'm trying to narrow the choices down. So far thinking of City Hall, Old City Hall, the Victorian industrial buildings in Old Town and the Distillery District. Of course the Gehry designed AGO, the addition to the ROM and maybe T.I.F.F.'s new home. Also considering the restored Victorian houses in Cabbage Town. What on this list would you leave out? And what would you add?
Old Aug 29th, 2011, 08:43 PM

If you are in the AGO's neighbourhood, stroll south on McCaul St. to see OCAD's (Ontario College of Art and Design) new addition. It looks like a black and white shoe box held up by giant, colourful pick-up sticks. It is unlike anything else in Toronto. Check out these pictures. http://maps.google.ca/maps/place?hl=...=0CFwQnwIoADAA

If you are interested in architecture, try to come back next May for the Doors Open Festival. For one weekend, usually the last weekened in May, approx. 150 buildings that usually aren't open to the general public are open to explore. Guided tours, special exhibits and lectures are added bonuses. Here is link to next year's event. http://www.toronto.ca/doorsopen/
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 05:17 AM
BAK

Add Allen Gardens, a glass-enclosed conservatory. Gerrard Street, just east of Jarvis. There's free parking west of the building, via a driveway running north from Gerrard. Free.

Canadian Broadcasting Corporation headquarters inside atrium is worth a visit, and then you can walk past Rogers Centre and down to Steam Whistle Brewery and the old railway roundhouse. When at the CBC, check if the museum is open. It's free. Main floor, west of atrium.

Got a car? Driving through Forest Hill Village and through the Bridal Path area will take you past wonderful residential architecture. For Bridal Path, north on Bayview past Lawrence AVenue / Glendon College of York University and turn right at next traffic lights, which is Post Road.
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 06:12 AM

This one (the Gooderham building) is my favorite:

http://www.gothereguide.com/flatiron...toronto-place/
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 07:23 AM

bookmarking
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 08:54 AM

Are you interested in old buildings? you might want to see Scadding Cabin (built in 1794), located at Exhibition Place.

Guild Log Cabin, (built in 1795) is on Guildwood Parkway;

John cox Cottage (1807) at 469 Broadview Ave.;

Fort York (1813), blockhouse No 2 at 100 Garrison Rd.

University College (1850), the main campus of University of Toronto, Gothic style

Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts - very modern.

If you decide to go, please do send me some pictures and your opinion! I could even create a webpage about your experience with Toronto architecture, as I am currently working on adding Toronto architecture webpages to my site. Youhttp://www.life-in-toronto.com/toronto-city-guide.html
Old Aug 30th, 2011, 09:32 PM

>

There are a number of Gothic Revival buildings at the University of Toronto, but University College is not among them. It is a fine example of 19th Century Romanesque and Norman revival architecture. For Collegiate Gothic, you might look at Trinity and Knox Colleges, and the finest example of all, Hart House with its Soldiers' Tower.

The University embraces many styles of architecture. Ron Thom's post-modernist Massey College (1963) is well worth seeing, but the brutalist Robarts Library (1969) is in my opinion one of the ugliest buildings in Toronto.

Elsewhere in Toronto the Art Deco RC Harris Water Treatment Plant is an architectural gem. I think it's only open to the public during the Doors Open weekend, but the exterior alone is worth seeing.
Old Aug 31st, 2011, 06:05 PM

Cabbagetown comprises "the largest continuous area of preserved Victorian housing in North America", according to the Cabbagetown Preservation Association.
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 06:17 AM
BAK

Further to the Harris water treatment plant.

It is right at the end of a long streetcar ride, so you can visit by getting on a Queen Street east bound streetcar that says Neville Park on the front, and get off at the end of theline. It's obvious. Walk around the old building, look at the lake, and get on another streetcar to come back downtown.

The trip itself takes you past a lot of interesting Toronto urban scenery.
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 11:03 AM

More on the Harris Water Treatment Plant;

http://wx.toronto.ca/inter/culture/d...F?OpenDocument
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 11:10 AM

And University College;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...llege,_Toronto

Actually U of T (University of Toronto) is generally worth visiting. It's near Queen's Park. The gothic revival buildings are interesting and the setting (especially around University College) is pleasant. The quadrangle at UC with its lovely cloisters is particularly nice to sit in and relax.
Old Sep 1st, 2011, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for some great suggestions. I will certainly try to come back in May for the Doors Open festival. Some of your suggestions are places I would never have thought of -- that's one of the things I like best about these forums. Again, thanks everyone!
Old Sep 2nd, 2011, 11:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
In my collage of pictures I took in Canada is one of a stone church in Toronto. It has a spire on each side and a lovely circular stained glass window in the center. It has to be on the south side of the street somewhere NNE of the CN tower.
My picture has the upper 200 feet of the CN tower showing above the roof. I remember taking the picture while walking from the hostel to the ViaRail station to catch the Candian.
Old Sep 3rd, 2011, 04:56 PM

Think you mean the hostel on Church Street, just south of Dundas (there's one on Church Street south of Queen, too)...so it could be Metropolitan United at Church and Queen although to me it only looks like one spire.
Old Apr 3rd, 2012, 06:16 AM

This article hits on some of the top historical architecture landmarks in the city. They are all definitely worth checking out when in Toronto:The Gladstone Hotel, The Gooderham Building, Old City Hall, The Distillery District and Casa Loma.

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/lo...five-landmarks