Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto - Favorites near the Sheraton Cr. Centre

May 17th, 2006, 10:41 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Here I come! It's just about 10 days away now.

It's just two almost 60 year olds going to a ball game and seeing the sights for 3 days. We are going to Casa Loma. Can you think of anything not to miss, near Queens Way West (near the Sheraton Cr. Center) or near Casa Loma. Restaurants, shows, museums etc. within walking distance of these- all suggestions welcome.

We are also going to Niagara - what's good on the way there from Toronto?

THANKS.
May 17th, 2006, 12:18 PM
BAK

Slightly puzzled...

Do you mean Queens Quay West, which is just south of the Rogers Center, where the ball game is played?

Queens Way West is probably Queensway West, which is out in the suburbs and miles from where you will be.

Unless... you are at the Sheraton Four Points, rather than the sowntown Sheraton Centre, across the strteet from City Hall.

Assuming the best -- downtown Sheraton, and Queen's Quay...

You are within walking distance of Second City, Yuk Yuks and The Laff Resort, all in the entertainment district, just west and south fo the hotel.

High priced live theatre surrounds you. Are you interested in $60 a ticket and up broadway-quality theatre?

The nearest big museum is the Art Gallery of Ontario, a couple of blocks north west of the hotel. Campbell House, which is an early Toronto house with guided tours, is a block immediately west of the hotel, on Queen Street West.

If you are ball fans... does that make you hoickey ffans, too? The Hockey Hall of Fame is a few blocks south of the hotel, at Yonge Street and Front Street.

Restaurants... dozens with a fifteen minute walk. Give us an idea of what kind of food appeals. Plus, hot dogs and fries from the trucks across the street from the Sheraton are excellent. Hot dog and fries, $3.50.

BAK
May 17th, 2006, 01:31 PM
JJ5
Original Poster

I'm sorry, I typed an address from an internet search and not my confirm forms. I'm at Sheraton Cr. Centre across from the City Hall and I think it is 123 Queen STREET West after a second google attempt to get the right address. It did have the Quay address on one site. Maybe there's another. But I'm at the one across from the City Hall.

We are going to the ball game at the Rogers Center on Sunday afternoon. I'm very interested in your two mentioned already, Art Gallery and Campbell House. And hope the Art Gallery is open on Monday. I'll check.

I have the Toronto tourism and event list and have some good ideas. We are open to all mid-range dining. We won't go high end- more for the dress code than for the $$. My guy won't jacket/tie it unless someone has died or is getting married. And that's not us on either.

Is Casa Loma far from we are staying and would it take more than 1/2 a day to get there, see it without rushing and get back?

We may go to a show if some are that close. Suggestions?

Thanks for your help. I'm buying a good map this weekend and I may have more questions after I really take it all in.

I appreciate your help and your opinion. We would like something traditionally Toronto to dine, or anything YOU like to suggest.
May 17th, 2006, 02:10 PM

Weekend of May 26-27 is Doors Open in Toronto. Many buidings of an architectural/historical nature are open with free admission.
http://www.doorsopen.org/building/indexa.cfm
May 17th, 2006, 02:22 PM

Casa Loma is just outside downtown and you can easily get there by public transit. I amagine that their website will have the details.

While at Casa Loma, you should also take the time to visit Spadina House next door. It's a restored Victorian mansion and gardens, and is well worth seeing.
May 17th, 2006, 03:09 PM
BAK

Can you walk as far as a grey-haired couple from Aberdeen, Scotland?

They were a bit farther than your hotel is from Casa loma this morning, and were planning to walk.

But they were Scottish.

It's pretty easy from the hotel. Walk a block to University Avenue, and take the subway most of the way.

Ties -- I can't think of any restaurant where I'd feel obligated to wear a necktie anymore. But there are some places where I'd do it anyway, just to add to the specialness of the occasion. But he won't be out of place if well dressed otherwise.

Think about a walk to St. Lawrence Market Saturday morning, and get breakfast there.

And Doors Open is a great event. Check out the Courthouse restaurant, if it is part of Doors Open this year, on your way to the market.

For people who like history, this could be the focus of much of the weekend.

BAK

May 18th, 2006, 05:52 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

We can walk, and this will be after at least 7 hours straight in a car on Saturday (we are staying through Tuesday morning) so I do think we will walk, use public transit at times, and not use the car until we leave on Tuesday. We have walked much more than the average couple our age in the last 5 years. We walked the San Diego zoo thoroughly(hills and HARD) and from one end of the strip in LV to the other and back, and many miles along the coast in Italy.

My guy could walk or bike forever, and I TRY to keep up. But this will not be a problem at all, I'll just make sure I have the right kinds of shoes.

THANK YOU.

I read about Doors Open on the tourism website and feel like we should get there a bit earlier, just so that we can fit more in on Saturday, but it probably won't be possible. Still, I'm going use your walk to the market at another time, if at all possible. Maybe after the game on Sunday if it's shorter than normal.
May 18th, 2006, 10:29 AM

Hi, just to advise you the St. Lawrence Food Market is closed on Sundays.
May 18th, 2006, 10:37 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Thanks, and I had a feeling that was going to be the case.
May 18th, 2006, 12:35 PM

Hi, as for restaurants there are some good value for quality near the Sheraton. Just a few blocks west you'll find 'East' a thai fusion place. On the opposite side of the street (south) is my favourite Indian restaurant 'India Palace' which has a wonderful lunch buffet as well as dinner prix fixe specials. The main thing to remember about 'Toronto' food is that our amazing multicultural makeup affords us very good restaurants from many cultures. Enjoy!
May 18th, 2006, 08:10 PM

On your way to Niagara Falls there are lots of wineries between Grimsby and the Falls, some just off the QEW.

I particularly like Vineland Estates and the town of Jordan in which you'll find Cave Spring Winery, as well as some unique shops and the wonderful Inn on the Twenty. Both the restaurant there and at the Vineland Estates are among the best in the area.

http://www.vineland.com/

http://www.jordanvillage.com/

While in the Niagara region, be sure to spend some time in Niagara on the Lake, a little gem of a town with some interesting galleries, shops and restaurants...oh, and more wineries.

The drive along the Niagara Parkway is lovely.

http://niagaraonthelake.com/
May 19th, 2006, 06:45 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Thanks, so much.

I will absolutely use these rec's, restaurants and links.

Toronto, sounds wonderful, and I think we may add a day around Niagara now, if it is possible. I don't know how things are going to stand at home with my Mom being so sick. But it may be possible.

And I love Thai fusion, absolutely love it. That's the greatest thing about cities with so many ethnic roots- you have LOTS of choices.

Thank YOU ALL.
May 19th, 2006, 07:20 AM

Hi, one final suggestion. My husband was insistant that we visit the Butterfly Conservatory in Niagara Falls. I was reluctant thinking it might be a disappointing tourist trap. It's not; in fact it's fabulous - a definite must see in my opinion.
May 22nd, 2006, 07:34 AM

Some other ideas for you.

For stuff in Toronto, take public transit where possible. Its a little bit complicated, but you can check things out online now and use the TTC search features and maps to plan it out. See www.ttc.ca, then select "route maps" under the TTC Service drop down box. It costs $8.50 for a day long pass, whcih includes subways, street cars and buses.

An offbeat musem, not too far from where you are staying is the Bata Shoe museum, started by Soniya Bata of the world wide company of that name. An old and exotic collection.

A good district to see in warm weather is the Beaches, and you can get there by a streetcar (route 501) east running along Queen St., about a half hour trip form downtown. It offers a nice mix of resturants with many having patios, and a lot of antiques and misc. shops. Along the lake, the Beach has a boardwalk and a good amount of parkland. Some interesting renovated homes too. The district was seedy back forty years ago, and is now really upscale.

Going to the Falls, one sight that may interest you is the Welland canal. You can follow signs from the Queen Elizabeth Way in St. Catharines to Lock #3 which is an observaing platform and museum. The canal connects Lakes Erie and Ontario, allowing ships to bypass the Falls, which is a rough go on any kind of boat.

Check the canal webiste at www.infoniagara.com/d-canal-map.html
May 22nd, 2006, 10:36 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Thank you everyone and I may do exactly that, DennyO. Great links too.

I'm starting to anticipate and we know we will have a great time.