Montreal with teenage daughter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter & I will be in Montreal for 2 1/2 days next week while my husband has business. We've never been in this city before so would like suggestions with places for lunch, good shopping, ect.. I've downloaded some "walks" on this website for downtown and Latin area. WE will be staying downtown and will be on foot. A year ago we spent a week in Paris and are looking for a taste of France again!
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 05:13 PM

I would suggest you stay in old Montreal but downtown is fine too.

If you like high end shopping like Louis Vuitton and alike we have Ogilvys or Holt renfrew, if you are bargain shopper then you have all of ste-catherine street.

for Cafe terrace dining we have three main areas, Crescent st mostly english and Yuppy, Old Montreal Elegant and traditional and if you have a more bohemian flare we have st. Denis/PLATEAU / lATIN AREA, mind you I have never found the latter all that latin, probably some yuppy/bohemian tag.

The town is teaming with festivals in the summer, Jazz fest which is almost over and soon Comedy Fest and then film fest.

I could go on and on, I love my city but hey or EH it isnt paris, Ive done both plusiers fois and we are a nice, edgy , latin version of North America but PAris were not.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 02:16 AM

A long afternoon visit in Old Montreal will give you your taste of France somewhat; by cab, get dropped off at Place d'Armes, a square that is opposite to the Basilica; from there , go down St. Sulpice and explore side streets off of St. Paul; further down, de la Commune street will lead you to the old port area, lots of nice walking there.

As for shopping with your teenager, you could start at les Cours Mont Royal for the trendy young shops, it's at Peel and de Maisonneuve, just one street north of Ste. Catherine street, the latter is a huge shopping street....

For restaurants combined with shopping, St. Denis street would give you both, lots of terraces there.
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 06:12 AM

A message to Chris (and to other Fodorites serching for salsa near Berri UQAM)... In fact "quartier latin" has nothing to do with the latino culture. It comes from the Paris neighborhood of the same name which was where the first schools and universities were... and all courses were given in... latin! it has become synonymous with the place where students hang out, which is certainly the case in Montréal!
Old Jul 14th, 2005, 08:39 AM

Further to jojonana's post, the quartier latin in Montréal centred on rue Saint-Denis was the original site of the Université de Montréal before it moved to its new campus on the north site of Mont Royal. The area is now the site of UQAM which maintains the concentration of students in the area.