Search

Montreal with kids in tow

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2005, 04:17 PM
TO
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montreal with kids in tow

Planning a weekend getaway for myself and my kids - aged 16 and 7. We are staying at the Delta Montreal. First time in Montreal. Would like suggestions for restaurants that are both kid friendly and allow me to experience Montreal. Also, I'm sure my teen would love to get some shopping in. I would love to visit cathedrals or museums - assuming I could do this with my 7 yr old. Basically, what are my options to make the weekend enjoyable for both myself and my kids. Thank you.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 07:26 AM

A lot depends on when you are going - cold weather eliminates the outdoor dining scene, which can be a lot of fun for kids. If you are going in cool weather, the Grand Comptoir on Sq Phillip, just of St. Catherine, is a good choice. It's a casual, inexpensive, but very French bistro. Also, Le Commensal is a large, elegant, cafeteria, with an incredible selection of international foods and yummy desserts. It's all vegetarian, but the food will please anyone. if you go in the summer, there are many outdoor cafes throughout the city, especially in the old city, on St. Denis, and on Prince Arthur St. They are fairly casual, and lots of fun for kids.Avoid the 'Da Giovanni' spaghetti house chain - the only time I've had mundane food in Montreal. The Biodome is the premier attraction for children. As for shopping, Montreal is nirvana. St. Catherine St. is lined with every kind of clothing and department store, as is the underground city below St Catherine. For more funky and French, check out St. Denis and the adjoining streets.
Notre Dame is the most impressive church in Montreal, and will be enjoyed by all ages.
PS - if you are staying at the Delta on President Kennedy, you are in a great location.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 07:43 AM
TO
Original Poster

zootsi - thanx so much for your response. We will be going to Montreal the first or second week of March -driving from Toronto. The underground city sounds fascinating. How would we access that from the area of the Delta Montreal. Also, is St. Catherine walking distance from the hotel?
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 08:29 AM

In my opinion, the underground city is vastly overrated as an attraction. As you're from Toronto, you know what the PATH is like--it's no different in MOntreal. What is good about it is that when the weather is bitterly cold, you can stay inside to shop or visit a restaurant etc. In this, it can be more useful than Toronto's, as it can often get much colder in Montreal. (Not this year, though, apparently).

If you are interested in historical sites, Chateau Ramezay, the Archeological Museum and the Geroges-Etienne Cartier house, all in Old Montreal, are quite accessible for kids. If the weather is good, the old fort on Ile-Ste Helene is really worth a visit. I would also recommend the Biodome as interesting for kids.

For dining, our kids always used to enjoy Giorgio's in Old Montreal. It's one of a chain, and certainly not haute cuisine, but the food is good and it's in a historic building (old warehouse). You could also try "brochetterie alley", Rue Prince-Arthur, loaded with brochetteries, all serving basically the same thing (kebabs and the trimmings), but quite fun. At most, you can bring your own wine.

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 11:12 AM

The Delta on President Kennedy is one of the high rise hotels on Sherbrooke - a very nice area. St. Catherine is two blocks downhill. The closest Metro is about a block or so. The underground areas can be accessed from several spots on St. Catherine, many quite close to your hotel. The undergroud is bascially a huge multi level complex of stores, resturants, Metro stations, etc. Not particularly exotic, but a good place to escape the weather. In cold weather the Biodome can be wonderful - a tropical rainforest when it's sub zero outside! You can also tour the rest of the Olympic Park from the Biodome.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 06:24 PM
BAK

When you go out the back door of the hotel you are new Ben's, a long-time favorite Montreal deli. It's got to be more than 50 years old, and entire generations of children have eaten there, and now take their kids and even grandchildren. Smoked meat sandwiches, french fries, etc.

I've been in Monteal museums with a boy who was about four, and even he found lots of fun stuff to see. But, of course, the exhibition being featured matters.

BAK
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 11:18 AM
TO
Original Poster

To BAK: Thanks for your input. The deli place you describe is just what will make my children and myself happy food wise. We will definitely give it a try. What about dinner? Any suggestions for nice restaurants near our Hotel?