Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Montreal - what the brochure didn't tell me?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 08:10 AM
Marci

I was considering a long (4-5) day weekend in Montreal, so I sent to the tourist board for information. It didn't really sell me on visiting. I know that it can't be as non-descript as the brochure sounds. Can you help me out? What are the gotta-dos and dont-miss places in Montreal?<BR>

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 08:45 AM
kate

http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/B2C/00/default.asp<BR><BR>Maybe this will help. Also, read the trip reports on here, the advice on restaurants and hotels. Fodors has a good Mini Montreal Guide online.<BR>Montreal is a lovely city, young and fun. There is something for everyone in Montreal.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 08:49 AM
jill

Marci<BR>I topped some Montreal threads for you to start you off on your research.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 09:07 AM
zootsi

Did you get a copy of the Montreal visitors guide put out by the Provence of Quebec? This is a TV guide sized book packed with all kinds of interesting things, hotel listings, museums, etc. You definitely won't be bored in Montreal!

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 09:07 AM
jimmie

Think of M as an excellent fall-back destination. For the most fun, join us here in Toronto. OK, ok, I work for a travel agency, so I do know.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 09:41 AM
xxx

Jimmie: With all due respect to Toronto, if you live in the US and have travelled to the US, there isn't really much need to see Toronto. As a travel agent, I'm sure you can understand that it's nothing more than a poor immitation of a large American city.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 09:45 AM
jimmie

perhaps, but geeeez. Popular misconception of Toronto aside. The same might be said about Paris.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 09:49 AM
xxx

What? That Paris is a poor immitation of a large American city? Please clarify...

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 11:26 AM
kate

No MONTREAL is NOT a poor imitation of PARIS.<BR>Both are lovely cities, the only similarity is the language.<BR>Montreal is a young, exciting, fun and beautiful city. There is so much to do all year round. <BR>Marci, do some homework and you will see that 4-5 days in Montreal will only make you want to stay longer!

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Jimmie

O, the same language, o no, you arent a speaker or youd never say that. If youd ever heard it in Europe, you wouldnt equate them. Marci, you can allot 4 days here with us in Toronto, easily spend full days, exceptional quality restaurants, museums, whatever you need. Notice Im not posting my agency, just giving you a locals viewpoint, and a former resident of Montreal too. A decent city with some limitations, but some see it a pleasant fallback.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 12:48 PM
kate

Lol, jimmy! Ok~ you are right there, it is called French- although I am sure that it sounds quite different in France. <BR>

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 02:25 PM
janelle

Marci,<BR>I too, am but an uninformed American planning a long weekend to Montreal/Quebec City in the near future and have some of the same questions. One thing of interest that I believe my husband and I will do is go to Le Festin du Gouveneur on Fort on Ile Ste-Helene. It is a reanactment of a banquet 300 years ago with food and entertainment with period costums, etc. It really sounds fun. Visit their site at www.festin.com.