Search

Montreal Tips

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 08:41 AM
zootsi

Montreal Tips

Here is some helpful information for Fodorites who are planning trips to Montereal:<BR>- By all means get a copy of the free Montreal Visitors Guide from the Quebec Tourism office - 1-877-BONJOUR. This book is worth it's weight in gold, and better than most books you can buy. Lots of info on attractions, hotels, neighborhoods, etc. Chock full of maps and color photos.<BR>- The Sept. 2001 National Geographic Traveler magazine had an excellent article on Montreal. Most libraries carry it.<BR>- The DiNero film 'the Score' was filmed in Montreal, mostly in the old city.<BR>- Don't be afraid to explore outside the downtown and old city. You will be pleasantly surprised how interesting other parts of the city can be! <BR>- Realize that boulevard St. Laurent separates the east addresses from the west. Generally, the further west, the stronger the English influence, although the city as a whole is bi-lingual.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 10:31 AM
klam

zootsi, thanx a mint for the tips. I just ordered the Guide, and I didn't know about your last point. <BR><BR>You (and others like Louis, Daniel, etc.) have been great in sharing insights on Montreal recently. <BR><BR>It seems like quite a few Americans are headed up for the Jazz Fest and summer holidays...I for one have been spongeing all the info from the posts!

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 10:40 AM
Daniel Williams

Zootsi--<BR><BR>Some nice suggestions for fellow travellers to Montreal. I particularly agree with your "don't be afraid to explore outside the downtown and old city" suggestion. I try to steer people to interesting areas, and there are many; I even discover some new ones from time to time. DAN

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 06:41 PM
teener

Thanks for the tips; we will be spending a week in Montreal in August and are looking forward to it.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:25 PM
Daniel Williams

Here's another tip for visitors who'll be in Montreal for 3-4 days that you might find worthwhile. I got a HEBDO CAM (carte hebdomadaire, available at the ticket booth at every station) for unlimited weekly use of the entire STM (Societe de Transport de Montreal) system (Metro and all buses on the island of Montreal). I was there from Tuesday-Saturday, the HEBDO CAM worth $14 was valid from Monday-Sunday. I must have used the buses/Metro 40-50 times, so it really saved me a lot relative to the book of 6 tickets ($9). <BR><BR>It'll really give you freedom to explore the many fascinating neighborhoods in Montreal. While there, I went to Snowdon, Cote-des-Neiges, Mile-End, Outremont, Downtown, the Plateau, le Village, Vieux Montreal all on that weekly pass.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 02:18 AM
chris

Thanks for the tips, I will be traveling to Montreal in five weeks from 'down under' Australia. I am really looking forward to it....I have heard so much about your beautiful city!<BR>See you soon, Chris.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 07:04 PM
DiDi

Thanks Zootsi for the wonderful tips. I have also ordered the guide you suggested. <BR><BR>You seem to know the city very well and I would appreciate some restaurant suggestions. We love oriental, Indian food and any other ethnic food and don't particularly like getting dressed up. Especially on vacation. <BR><BR>We only have 3 days to tour Montreal, what would be your suggestions of "sights not to be missed". <BR><BR>Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give us. <BR><BR>DiDi

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 04:26 AM
zootsi

There are lots of mid-priced ethnic places in Montreal. Here are a few suggestions. There places are all casual, and fairly inexpensive:<BR><BR>Nil Bleu (Etheopian) - St. Denis<BR>Cafe Cherrier (French) - Cherrier<BR>Bazou - (eclectic-byob) - Masonvieu east<BR><BR>Duluth St. near St. Denis is lined with inexpensive byob ethnic places. It's fun to stroll the street with your favorite wine or beer tucked under your arm, and just choose a place that strikes you. Many have outdoor terraces, and are great on a warm summer night. Prince Arthur is also lined with byob places with outdoor tables right on the street.<BR>A very exotic pub is Cafe Sarejvo on Clark st. - a hole in the wall, smokey eastern European hang out, often with live music. The botanical garden by the Olympic Park, is very beautiful,(the second largest in the world) if you are into this kind of thing. A boat ride on the river at the old port is also lots of fun.