Montreal Hotel Strike

Jul 30th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Montreal Hotel Strike

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of exactly how the strike is impacting service at the Hyatt downtown these days?

Leaving in a week and wonder if it's simply a matter of going without room service, housekeeping, or not being able to use the pool, etc.?

Or is it an entirely different situation, like not being able to check-in, room security breaches, or worse?

Thanks in advance.
Jul 31st, 2008, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

topping
Jul 31st, 2008, 09:26 AM

I live in Mtl and haven't heard of the strike....but I haven't heard anything big so chances are the impact will be minor. I doubt that any hotel, regardless of a strike would allow their guests' security to be jeopardized so I wouldn't worry too much.

Layla
Jul 31st, 2008, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Hi Layla,
Thanks for responding! Hope that didn't seem silly, to query about the security, but I've come to realize that in this day and age, anything can happen.

I posted to try and get feedback for my mom, who's concerned about how the strike might affect our stay. We are lodging on points (and a limited budget) this time so changing hotels really isn't an option, as some on another travel site have suggested.

Oh boy. Now, I'm rambling. LOL So sorry. Thanks again for your response.
Jul 31st, 2008, 10:03 AM

No problem....that's what the forums are for! Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help. But I highly doubt it will have a large impact on your stay because I live in the city and haven't heard anything about it. But then again maybe I'm just out of the loop lol!! I'll check my paper when I get home to see if any articles have been written about it and if so I'll let you know what I find.

Layla
Jul 31st, 2008, 03:50 PM

Hello again...I was just reading the paper online and came across this update on the strike from the Montreal Gazette:

13 Rooms a day
That's the one-shift workload unionized housekeeping staff are demanding in contract talks with the city's big hotels.

So I have a feeling only housekeeping will be affected during your stay.

Layla
Aug 5th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Hi Layla,
Thanks for the info. We're just days away now, and I'm sure it'll be fine. I think the hotel told my mom housekeeping will be offered every two days...

I'll report back when we return.

Thanks again,
Tricia