Montreal Fireworks

Search

Montreal Fireworks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montreal Fireworks

We will be staying at the Loews Vogue hotel for three nights in July. On the Wednesday night we are in town, there will be a firworks competition. Would there be a restaurant where we could eat dinner outside where we could view the display. Or would we need to buy tickets to the show and how far is it from the Loews hotel. We will not have a car. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 04:14 PM

I also will be staying in July and was looking to do the same thing. I was advised dy others onthis site and took their advice to book a dinner reservation at Les Remparts restaurant in Old Montreal. It has a roof top terrace and they have a fireworks 7 course dinner package. It was expensive but well worth it for a night to remember as Im told. Here is the number 514-392-1649. Are you there for the Jazz or Comedy Festival?
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the phone number. I will call and make reservations. We will miss the Jazz Festival...we will be there from July 21-24..what is the Comedy Festival...is it worth going to.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 12:39 PM

I've been to either the Jazz festival or the comedy festival or both for each of the last 6 years.The comedy festival has a website which lists all the shows at www.hahaha.com. I havent paid much attention to whose performing this year since I decided on the Jazz festival due to it being their 25th anniversary edition. From all Ive heard you have picked a great hotel also. Make sure you check out St. Denis area as it is the central outdoor location for the comedy festival with lots of concessions and street performers.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

We did make reservations at Les Remparts for their special fireworks dinner. Thank you for the recommendation. Any suggestions for the other two nights...perhaps a little more moderatly priced!! We love French food, but after a week week in Quebec, I think we might be in the mood for something else. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
BTW, I will check out the comedy festival website. You have been so helpful!!!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 05:00 AM

I could never get sick of French food, but I heard JARDIN DE PANOS (Greek/seafood) in Montreal is quite good. Reasonable prices, and I believe it has outdoor seating also. There's also SCHWARTZ'S for outstanding deli-type food. Also, I heard there is some great sushi and Chinese in town. I'm so jealous you're going to Montreal to see the fireworks!
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help with the fireworks logistics and restaurant suggestions. What exactly is the Comedy Festival? I know there are shows featuring famous comedians like Jackie Mason and Caroline Rhea, but what are the other events?
Old Jun 23rd, 2004, 02:11 PM

Hoopscoach posted this above: The comedy festival has a website which lists all the shows at www.hahaha.com.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 02:19 PM

Dear glsebs,

Please post a travel report on Montreal when you get back. Would love to hear how Les Ramparts restaurant is. Hoping to return to Montreal again soon...
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 08:27 AM

Just returned from 5 days in Montreal. The fireworks were great but for all of you who have reservations at Les Ramparts rooftop terrace for the tasting dinner, be advised that it is only offered weather permitting...upon checking into the Auberge du Vieux-Port on Friday we were informed that the dinner had been cancelled due to the chance of rain and cool temps. However, we did get a reservation at the regular Les Ramparts (inside), but the tasting menu was not available (we ordered off of the regular menu, which was absolutely outstanding). We went up to the terrace at 10pm for the show. Good thing they cancelled the dinner because it was freezing!!! We were disappointed but it ending up working out fine.
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 02:49 AM

Thanks for the report glsebs. How was the view from the terrace and was it crowded or not? Any other good restaurants discovered?
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 07:55 AM

Hoopscoach, I think you were thanking me and not glsebs?? But anyway, there are two sides to the terrace, I am not sure if the fireworks dinner uses both sides or just one. The view is good, except in the middle of the rooftop where there is a wall (and the door that lets you out on the roof)...if your dinner winds up being cancelled as ours was I recommend getting to the roof before 10...we got up there just in time to see the start but all of the tables and chairs were taken, so we had to stand and didn't have the best view. There is a bar up there and people looked like they had been sitting a while with wine, etc. So, get up there early, get a drink and a table and relax until the fireworks. As far as other restaurants, Queue de Cheval was spectacular as always. I highly recommend it...they have a website you can check out that has the menu on it and some great pictures. We ate outside on the covered patio and then had dessert on the couches they have on the patio looking out onto the street. We also had a casual dinner at Dundee's on the corner of Crescent and St. Catherine Streets, good food and drinks and a really great outside seating area on the second floor overlooking all the action. I'd be happy to answer any other questions!!!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 12:16 PM

Where else in the city can the fireworks be seen if one didn't want to go down to the Park?
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:24 PM

ttt for css
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:25 PM

sorry, I meant ttt for dinny!
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 04:00 AM

Just a note, Jardin de Panos is good but quite ordinary, we go there rarely and only if we are taking our kid's friends and paying for them, it's good value for the money and service is brisk. Dundee's is a chain similar to TGIF but with more of a bar scene.

Il Cortille restaurant on Sherbrooke st. has a fabulous terrasse/courtyard that is my favorite in the summer, it's italian food and make sure you reserve.

Shodan on metcalfe street has good sushi;
I also heard that Tokyo on st. paul in old mtl is good, I don't eat sushi but have friends who do.

You could take the subway to Ile Ste Helene and see the fireworks on site; there must be a way to get tickets on line.

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 05:09 AM

I must put my 2 cents in on Jardin de Panos. We go to Montreal several times a year, and in the summer we always try to get to Panos if it's a warm evening. The outdoor terrrace can be a magical spot. The food is above average for simple Greek style brochettes, the wine flows freely (byob), and there's always a party atmosphere. True, the service is brisk, and there's often a wait (no reservations are taken), but the prices are reasonable, and it's always a fun night out if we choose Panos.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 05:49 AM

For a nice BYOW, try La Colombe (http://english.montrealplus.ca/porta...ofileID=493701).

There is also an exquisite Polish restaurant in Old Montreal called Stash (http://www.stashcafe.com/).

If you feel like fish, there is also Le Poisson Rouge (http://english.montrealplus.ca/porta...ofileID=548828)

Have a nice trip!
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 07:00 PM

We had dinner at the Les Remparts restaurant and I would NOT recommend it. The food was average and the service was just OK. You only have a GREAT view of the fireworks if you have certain tables. It is not worth the money.