Montreal

Jun 23rd, 2006, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Montreal

My wife and I will be spending 3 1/2 days in Montreal over the July 4th weekend.

We enjoy dining in fine restaurants, art, museums, antiques, sightseeing in Old Montreal, shopping in fine stores, etc.

Your recommendations about special places for us to visit would be appreciated.

JAR

Jun 26th, 2006, 10:53 AM

The Fine Arts museum on Sherbrooke will interest you and they, of course, have various exhibitions throughout they year. There is also an excellent cafe in the museum. I had a better croque monsieur and Fernch onion soup than I ever did in Paris. Order one or the other as both would be too much for one person.
The Biodome and Botanical Garden are great and are right next to each other.
We enjoyed the harbor tour on Les Bateaux-Mouches de Montreal. You get a great view of the city and you get a real feel for the power of the mighty St. Lawrence.
There are more restos than you know what to do with. If you like Indian, I would highly recommend Taj on Stanley Street. Entrecote Saint-Jacque, which is near there, has a great fixed price meal of steak-frites. That is about all they have, so it is for meat lovers only. Those places are nice, but not fancy. There are plenty of more upscale places, but you can also eat well without paying a lot.
Jun 26th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your response.

JAR
Jun 27th, 2006, 01:54 AM

Entrecote St. Jean is on Peel street near de Maisonneuve; Cavalli is right next door, it's a trendy but excellent upscale restaurant.

Art galleries are plentiful; in Old Montreal, there is a strip of particularly nice galleries between St. Sulpice and St. Laurent street, on St. Paul; Notre Dame street west has a nice strip of antique stores.

Where are you staying ?
Jun 27th, 2006, 12:15 PM

You must go to the Jazz Festival, it is a superb, world class event. Lots of outdoor concerts, music is not all jazz (if you are not a fan). Held on St Catherine St east, they block of the streets around the multiple stages. Easy access by Metro.

http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/

I'll add some other ideas later...

Mike
Jun 29th, 2006, 06:46 AM

joela, I hope you realize this is Jazzfest time. This is one of the largest jazz festivals in the world, so most of the downtown commercial district will be immersed in it. It is great fun, but if you want to 'get away from it all' for a while, walk up to the plateau area. It's a whole different world up there, with quiet tree lined streets, and lots of small restaurants and cafes.