Last minute Montreal

Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last minute Montreal

So we are driving to Montreal tomorrow - talk about a last minute trip! I normally love planning and researching so I am feeling entirely off my game.
We are staying at the Intercontinental and will be there for 3 nights. I know the Jazz festival is going on which sounds like great fun. What other recommendations do you have? We like history, museums, I like shopping and we both like sports.
Aslo, I swear the destination guide has shrunk. I used to be able to find a good bit of information there. Now, it seems there are mostly alphabetical listings of hotels and restaurants - ugh. I don't see any "Best in 3 or 5 Days" type of info.
Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Sorry - one other quick question. Does anyone have recommendations for a walking or bicycle tour?
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 12:07 PM
PLJ

Hi Shaya,

During our stay in Montreal last autumn, my husband and I were very impressed by our visit to Pointe-a-Calliere (Montreal Museum of Archaeology and History) located in Old Montreal.

www.pacmuseum.qc.ca

We enjoyed a tasty lunch at nearby Olive et Gourmando.

www.oliveetgourmando.com

Bon Voyage!
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:18 PM

see my reply in the USA forum. Also - here's a nice evening walk idea:
Walk up St. Denis to Duluth st. for dinner at one of the numerous BYOB spots. After dinner, walk back down St. Denis until you come to Sq. St Louis (small park on your right). Walk thru the park and onto Prince Arthur St. If it's a nice night, you'll see lots of street entertainment, and a very lively street scene. Once you reach St. Laurent, walk back down to St. Catherine and over to your hotel (or the Jazzfest).
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Thnak you both - I love these types of tips.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 04:06 AM

this may be too late if you are leaving today. i would check out the tourist web site
http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/B2C/00/default.asp

If you go to the experience Montreal section, then neighborhoods you'll find lots of good information about different neighborhoods. the West Island section talks about bike tours. You can get a hard copy of the tourist guide once in the city. the tourist office in Old Montreal also has a good walking tour of that section. I agree with PLJ's recommendation to visit the Pointe a Calliere museum
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

I was just reading about that museum - it sounds fascinating. We leave after work today - but it is hard to work when I want to be online looking up stuff!
So, I gather from prior posts that nice casual clothes and good walking shoes are always appropriate?
Also - I love to visit groceries and drugstores while traveling - any great products available there I should look for?
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 03:05 PM

Bike rental- Take the path that runs along the Lachine Canal from Old Montreal to Atwater market for lunch and you can continue on beyond for as long as you want to go. There are sure to be rental places in Old Montreal. Don't know of a guided tour, though.

I second Pointe-a-Calliere for Montreal History. The Jazz fest- the indoor shows you must get tickets for- most are not sold out- and the outdoor shows are free!

Try to get some Quebec cheese, Tarte-au-sucre (Sugar Pie) is a local specialty. Sucre a la creme is another of my favorite.

Montrealers enjoy Poutine- it might be worth a try if you can spare some calories. French fries, topped with cheese curds and chicken gravy...
It sounds bad, but is delicious.
Enjoy!