Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Least expensive while scenic routes from Vancouver BC to Halifax NS

Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi

I am planning to drive across Canada from Vancouver to Halifax. Please advise the best routes...I mean relatively inexpensive, shorter and still somewhat scenic if possible. How much could this trip cost?

Also, please recommend inexpensive motels, hotels or even better B&Bs acorss Canada.

Thanks!
Jun 26th, 2006, 07:05 AM
ltt

your question is far too vague to get any great information. how much will it cost? are you eating in restaurants three times a day? driving a motorcycle or an rv? look at a map. if you want to stay in canada, there are only basically about 2-3 different routes you can take. pick one and then we could recommend places to stay.
Jun 26th, 2006, 10:00 AM

This is one of those "I want to see Canada, where should I go questions."

The quickest route from Vancouver to Halifax is to drive south to Seattle and take I 90 across to Boston. Then go north to Nova Scotia via New Brunswick unless you want the expense of the ferry from Maine to Nova Scotia.

Jun 29th, 2006, 09:56 AM

If your travelling Canadian when you get to Kenora, Ontario leave #1 and head toward Fort Frances, Atikokan to Thunder Bay and then take Hwy 17 to Sault St. Marie.

The #1 from Kenora to Thunder Bay is back to back transport trucks, it's all been cut over and so there really are no scenic spots along the way...going toward Fort Frances, through Atikokan you go through tourist country and it's a much nicer drive with far less traffic.

Jun 29th, 2006, 10:17 AM

As has been mentioned, the fastest way from one point to another in Canada is often by travelling through the US. I assume that your plan is to actually travel in Canada, and to see Canada. I suggest doing the classic route and base your trip on driving the Trans Canada highway. Follow Timlin's suggestions for Ontario.

Not too many people (even Canadaians) will be able to give suggestions for B&B's across the country. I am sure that there are books available that list B&Bs in Canada. Pick one up and get a good map and figure out your route!

You don't say if you want to stop for a day here and there to see places, but I would recommend it. It is about a 5-6 day drive without stopping to site see. A one-way car rental would be $$.

Are you travelling by yourself? This is one long drive. Consider the train instead. With a regular ticket (no sleeper) you can get on and off as many times as you like and take your time. Stop for a day or two or even just a night in places like Jasper, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, and Montreal. If there is only one of you, and you are driving a rental car, it will be cheaper and far more relaxing. You will also meet people this way.
Jun 29th, 2006, 11:21 AM
3jm

I also recommend the train, if possible. The scenery is incredible and you can hop off and on. With gas prices and possibility of car problems, I believe rail is the way to go. You can rent a vehicle upon arriving at your destinations and save all those clicks that you would place on your car.