Search

Montreal

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 1998, 03:06 PM
Peter

Montreal

My wife and I are travelling from Australia to stay with friends in Washington in November/December. We would also like to travel up to Montreal for about a week and check out some of the surrounding area (especially the Laurentians as I love to ski). <BR>We were thinking of going by train from the US, what do you think? What would the ski conditions be like in early in December? Where would you suggest skiing? Would accommodation be easy to get, or should we book something in advance? Is car hire reasonable in Canada? Thanks for all your help.

Old Aug 24th, 1998, 06:36 PM
Suzanne

Early December is risky for good skying, it is a little early in the season and who knows if there will be sknow. Anyway, I would suggest Mont Tremblant, beautiful scenery. From the train station in Montreal, Mont Tremblant (in the Laurentians) is a 2 hour drive, but a great place to see. As for accommodation, it is best to book something in advance.

Old Aug 25th, 1998, 12:21 PM
Domenic

Hey, there. The best skiing north of Montreal is indeed Mont-Tremblant. And I agree, reserve ahead of time. It's probably one of the best hills in the country. And.. cost of car rental, about $40cdn/day. I suggest Discount Car Rental. They're located across the city, including downtown. Have fun. <BR>

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 05:48 AM
Peter

Hi guys <BR>Thanks for your responses. Looks like Mont Tremblant for us - now all we have to do is hope it snows before we get there! <BR>Peter

Old Aug 26th, 1998, 06:57 PM
Owen O'Neill

I haven't skied the Laurentians but Mt. Tremblant has a good reputation among skiers here in the Northeastern US. I agree that conditions are iffy that early in the season. Consider the possibility of having an alternate plan to ski in northern Vermont. The majority of Vermont ski areas are in the southern and central part of the state but Jay Peak (and possibly a few others) are in the northern area within 2 hours of Montreal by car. Jay Peak has a phenomenal vertical drop (I believe it may be close to 3,000ft). Elevations are slightly higher and most Vermont ski areas have invested heavily in snow-making equipment during the last several years - definitely worth checking out. Accomodations would probably be relatively easy to obtain on short notice. The large crowds at Vermont ski areas begin appearing later in December.

Old Sep 5th, 1998, 02:15 PM
vanesa

hello! i just wanted to tell you that the train travel to montreal (from us border to montral it is by bus) is grat, you will find lots of little beautiful things to discover. I did that trip in march last year. <BR>vanesa from argentina

Old Sep 5th, 1998, 02:15 PM
vanesa

hello! i just wanted to tell you that the train travel to montreal (from us border to montral it is by bus) is grat, you will find lots of little beautiful things to discover. I did that trip in march last year. <BR>vanesa from argentina

Old Sep 10th, 1998, 04:05 AM
José

To ski ? December is still too early,January would be the best month(depends the weather, this year we had ice storm); definitely Mont-Tremblant is the best for ski, St-Sauveur is not bad too. For accommodation, it's better check with hotels, because Montréal having a lots international conventions. Car rental, you can find <BR>easily. Remember you pay Canadian dollars here.