Reload this Page >

Travelling the Rockies by Car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 1998, 03:16 AM
Bob

We intend travelling from Kamloops to Jasper and wish to know the most picturesque route? <BR>Should we travel direct or via TransCanada Hwy and then Icelands Parkway.

Old Aug 22nd, 1998, 07:38 AM
bob brown

Hi Bob. I have driven from Kamloops to Jasper via the Valemount Route that takes you by Mt. Robson and I have driven the other way, too. <BR> <BR>There is no contest in my opinion. <BR>From Kamloops head east toward Revelstoke. You will pass through Glacier National Park, which is scenic on a clear day. From there you will head toward Golden, BC and Yoho National Park, which is my favorite. From there you can make a very short detour to Lake Louise. Then head north on the incredible Icefields Parkway. From Jasper you can then make a detour to see Mt Robson, which is about the only real feature on the "other" route. <BR> <BR>Again, there is no contest if you are after scenery. <BR>

Old Aug 23rd, 1998, 06:48 AM
Betty

We would like to drive the Icefields Hwy and tour the National Park when the summer traffic has eased. As a general rule, how early do the roads in higher elevations get snow and ice? Is October chancy? How about September? Thanks for any info. <BR>

Old Sep 7th, 1998, 07:41 AM
Betty Ann

Definitely take the Icefields Parkway. The scenery is fantastic -and be SURE to stop at Athabasca Falls. It's not too far south of Jasper on the west side of the road. You won't see the falls from the road, you have to turn off on to a side road, but it's very close. Watch for the sign, it's not very big and while you're looking at all the beauty around you, you could miss it. You will love this trip.

Old Sep 9th, 1998, 06:43 PM
Bob Brown

In response to the question about travelling along the Icefields Parkway in October. I think we need advise from an expert. I have travelled the Jasper to Banff route in mid September with no problems. But I think some of our Canadian friends need to help us out on the October question. <BR>

Old Sep 14th, 1998, 06:10 PM
Isabel

Betty, early October will of course be less chancy than late October. It is really hard to say because the weather can be unpredictable. We've been hearing all kinds of prediction of how severe the coming winter will be. However, if you are thinking of visiting the Columbia Icefields, I would recommend making the trip in September. If I remember correctly, the Snocoaches which takes you right onto the icefield stops running some time in October. So, to avoid disappointment, plan your trip for an earlier date.