money in Canada

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
money in Canada

We will be traveling to Canada next week.
Is it best to get our dollars from the ATM machine when we get there-and are they readily available. Any advice?
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:46 AM

Yes an ATM will give you the best exchange rate. If you are flying, most airports have machines there. ATM's are readily available elsewhere too.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:02 AM

I need cash for my B&B upon arrival in Montreal, so I just oredered $ from my bank...they charged a $15 fee, but the express mail charge was included in the fee. I think $500 was $488 US with the fee. It was easy, they charged my account and I had the cash next day.

(I'd rather have cash on hand when I get there in case my son is "starving" or we need a cab or something...I don't know where you're going, so I don't know about ATM availability.)

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

We are going to Vancouver and our first stop will be at the amtrak station-do you think there will be an ATM machine there?
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:44 AM

Here is a previous thread about the ATM in Vancouver's Amtrak station:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...9&tid=34506708

As you will note from that thread, the person who described their experience with that ATM found that it would not accept any of his/her cards. I don't know what kind of debit card the poster had. Most ATMs in Canada accept cards that have a Cirrus or Plus logo on them.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks -I read through it...and still a bit puzzled about what to do...do you think I should come with a small amount of Canadian money before I leave for the trip?
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 08:56 AM

I had no trouble with the ATM in the Vancouver AMTRAK station - my card worked fine. I have also crossed the border by car several times since that trip and make it a practice to stop at an ATM at whatever bank I can find near the border crossing. As another poster said, as long as your ATM card and the ATM are part of one of the major networks, such as Cirrus, tou should not have a problem.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 09:47 AM

I think it's always a good idea to have some local currency on hand when you arrive in another country. I would not rely on withdrawing money from an ATM because if there were a problem, I'd rather not be stuck or have to waste my time looking for another ATM.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 10:05 AM

I always bring a small amount oflocal cash - enough for a cab to your hotel and a snack. $50 - $100 CAD should be fine. I have been happy to have this on many occasions. Even when there are working ATMs, sometimes you don't want to look for one or line up to use one. I like being able to head straight for my hotel without having to stop for cash.

So long as your card is Cirrus or Plus, you shouldn't have a problem at any ATM in Canada. Some people have "blocks" on their cards which prevent them from being used out of the country. They then report how machines don't work here or there, and confuse the issue. If you haven't taken your card out of the country before, give your bank a call to make sure you are set, then you should be fine.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 10:06 AM

>>>>>>I think it's always a good idea to have some local currency on hand when you arrive in another country. I would not rely on withdrawing money from an ATM because if there were a problem, I'd rather not be stuck or have to waste my time looking for another ATM.<<<<<<

Fair enough, but an American arriving in Vancouver with only US cash would not exactly be stuck. Most Vancouver merchants do accept US currency, although it's true that they employ an exchange rate that is very much to their advantage rather than the American customer's advantage.

I'm all for American travellers respecting the fact that Canada is a separate country with its own currency, which laurelee obviously does.

Whether or not it's worth an American traveller's while to arm him/herself with Canadian cash in advanace of his/her arrival in Canada depends on a few factors, however. It depends how busy he/she is before departure, where in Canada he/she will be travelling (merchants in more toursity locations are more accustomed to being paid in US$), and where he/she lives (the ease with which a person can get hold of foreign currency varies from place to place in the US).

Laurelee, the message you posted in the Post Hotel thread seems to indicate you've been to Canada before. I'm wondering if you have a bit of Canadian money kicking around from that previous trip.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Hey-you are right! I do! Now I've got to remember where I put it. That didn't once cross my mind-good for you!
I'm not sure how much-but I'll look. Thank you so much!

And,yes, I've been to the Post Hotel and loved it. We are staying at the Westin Bayshore and Grand Pacific this time around and I hope I am as pleased.
Old Jul 1st, 2006, 07:50 AM

Laurelee- If you are staying at the Westin, they will exchange money at the front desk. We have driven to Eastern Canada many times and many places will take American cash. We use our AMEX if posible and they (credit cards) always give the best exchange rate of the day. Mostly we use CAD for cab rides, the mass transportation and eating at lunch, buying small souveniers. Enjoy.