Lodging - Banff & Canmore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling to the Banff area and utilizing my ability to trade my time share or else Marriott Points. I am curious if someone can tell me which, of my available options, would be the best/nicest place to stay.

1. Banff Rocky Mountain Resort (Banff)
2. Grand Canadian Resort Vacation Club Canmore)
3. Sunset Resorts (Canmore)
4. Marriott Residence Inn - Banff/Canmore

I would appreciate any direction that people can provide since I don't have a clue about which to select.

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:42 AM

Stay in Banff itself - almost every hotel is walking distance to the main drag with restaurants, shops, coffee, etc. There is a broad price range.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:34 PM

Pookerpug, if you're going to Banf to ski, I agree with SallyCanuck's advice to stay in Banff townsite. She mentioned the proximity to restaurants, shops, etc. In addition to that, there are more shuttle buses to the ski slopes from Banff than there are from Canmore.

If you'll be travelling in summer, however, Banff is very busy. Some people consider that to be an advantage, but I don't. Three hours is about my limit on a summer's day. In summer I prefer Canmore.

I have not stayed at any of the accommodations on your list, so cannot comment on them from personal experience. The Marriott Residence Inn is in Canmore, by the way, and not in Banff.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 07:12 AM

Hey Pookerbug,

We are in the same boat that you were in a few years ago and are wondering what you decided to do as far as accomodations are concerned in Canmore. Where did you stay and did you enjoy it?
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Actually our visit is coming up this summer. I booked a year ago and did decide to stay in canmore since we are going in the summer and it is supposedly not quite as busy/congested there. Also the fact that we get the lodging free as a time share exchange helped make that decision. Have a good trip!