Banff and Jasper accomodations

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2003, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings. We are going to be going to the Banff/Jasper area in a few short weeks for our honeymoon. Due to some unavoidable problems, we are booking this at the last minute. Would you recommend staying in Banff or Jasper? Any particular places that are especially good? We've seen quite a bit of availability in Canmore. Is that a good place to stay or is it too far removed? Thank you for your help!
Old May 19th, 2003, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Just a side note ... we will be flying into Edmonton and renting a car.
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:14 AM
vsa

if flying into Edm...then Jasper for closeness,,,Banff is approx 3hours away(4 from Edm),,hotels im not familiar in Jasper sorry,,but get to West Edm Mall even for the honeymoon,,,its more than shopping( im a male..lol)plus if you want they have a hotel inside the mall with fantasy suites(woohoo)
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! I will definately check into the Edmonton Mall; we were planning to spend a night in Edmonton before leaving. Fantasy suites, huh?
Old May 19th, 2003, 02:15 PM

I definitely recommend Jasper - less "touristy", more rustic and cozy. I am fond of Becker's Chalets, I've heard Tekarra is nice as well - both are on the Athabasca river. Both are places with cabins/duplex types of accommodation. In town, the Jasper Inn is quite nice. if your budget can afford it, the Jasper Park Lodge is supposed to be la creme de la creme.
Canmore is outside Banff; Jasper and Banff are >4 hours apart by car. I don't think it's feasible to do both in the same trip.
As far as the Fantasyland Hotel at WEM goes, you'll be in the west end and therefore in the right direction for going to Jasper. I have never stayed in one of the fantasy rooms (I live in Edmonton, so I don't stay in hotels here), but I haven't heard anyone complain about them.
BTW, congratulations on the upcoming nuptuals!
Old May 19th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, Luna! Thanks you too for the congratulations. Only 3 short weeks and we're getting excited.

We're leaning toward Jasper and are thinking about a couple days at the end of the trip in Banff. Ever heard of the Alpine Village cabins in Jasper? I've heard wonderful things about the Jasper Park Lodge but dont think we can swing it on our budget. Maybe we'll have a nice dinner there.
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:55 AM
ltt

not sure how long you are vacationing for but i would include a combination of jasper and banff. the drive between the two is beautiful. if you want a classier hotel in edmonton, check the the macdonald hotel in downtown. but if you like to shop, then the fantasyland hotel would be great for you but it's busy and nothing really special.
Old May 20th, 2003, 09:01 AM
evo

jasper is much more 'canadian' in its style of house and appears much more laid back. Banff is much prettier and seems to be more of a tourist trap, however both places are fantastic, its not that far between the two, why not stay at both places.
Old May 20th, 2003, 09:54 AM

If time allows, be sure to stroll down Whyte ave. I second the motion for Hotel Mac. or even the Union Bank Inn ...and then hit the mall on the way out of the city. If your time allows, do the Edmonton, Jasper, Lake Louise, Calgary, Edmonton Circut. This can be done easily in a week and a half.
Old May 20th, 2003, 07:10 PM

You will love it! Do not spend too much time in Edmonton - go immediately to Jasper then to Lake Louise. After I went to Lake Louise the first time in '91(I camped), I had to go back the next year because it is so beautiful! I am heading to LL and Jasper for my forth trip end of June. Man the hotel prices are high now!!! I'm thinking of booking at the Paridise Lodge in LL. Does anyone know if it is nice? Can't afford the Chateau. I also have to find reasonable accomodations in Jasper and Waterton.
Old May 20th, 2003, 09:46 PM

Alpine Village in Jasper is really nice..And staying at Fantasyland Hotel is something romantic, if you ask me...You can pick from several theme rooms...Also, the drive from Jasper to Banff is incredible and if you have the time, I would not miss it...If you cannot do the whole trip, drive as far as the Columbia Icefields then turn around and go back to Jasper...Have a great honeymoon..