Little known and underappreciated

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nova Scotia is a marvelous and diverse province, but Cape Breton and the wonderful Cabot Trail tend to get all the attention.

Does anyone have favourite destinations, beaches, small towns, hotels or inns, parks, etc. that remain "off the map" for most of us? Any trip reviews that include such places?

I would vote for Shelburne's historic district and harbour to start things off.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 01:25 AM

The warm waters of the Northumberland Strait tend to get overlooked by most tourists who think only PEI has beautiful beaches. In Pictou County alone: Melmerby, Caribou, Sinclairs Island, Big Island can be enjoyed without crowds.

A drive along the Brule Shore from Pictou towards Pugwash can uncover some real gems. Take a Saturday and discover the farmer's market at the Creamery. Drop in and see Sara Bonnyman throwing pots in her studio. Don't pass by the Raven Gallery. Sharon has some amazing local artists displayed as well as her own work. The Chowder House has wonderful "chowder" and other offerings. Great sandwiches made at the local meat market as well as subs at the log gas station. Sunrise Mercantile is a destination in itself. And who can forget a visit to the Pork Shop and Jost Winery. SugarMoon Farms is located in Earltown and offers wonderful maple products in the rustic restaurant. There are so many local producers and businesses located along this shore - don't miss taking a day to explore!

Old Mar 30th, 2007, 07:40 AM

I loved the town of Pictou. Also Annapolis Royal.
Old Mar 30th, 2007, 03:07 PM

We really enjoyed Brier Island, on the north-western side of NS. Good place to experience the Fundy tides, too.

~Liz
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

I would also add Yarmouth County. While the Town of Yarmouth itself is not necessarily a shining gem, the area definately is. Cape Forchu rivals Peggy's Cove for beauty. Yarmouth County is also home to some of the best access to the Tobeatic Wilderness Area, which is part of a UNESCO Biosphere. Located in this area is a great small resort: Trout Point Lodge in Kemptville. There's also Canada's oldest standing court house in Tusket, and beautiful coast and beaches such as Pembroke Shore and Port Maitland.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 12:39 PM

LOL @ Pugwash!

There was quite the local "gem" working at the convenience store next to the train with the "Pugwash" sign, when I was there.

It was pouring rain, and I went in for some random candy/snack... and ahhhhhhhh, someone to dream about for my next hour or two on the road. (sigh)

Old Apr 6th, 2007, 08:51 AM

We liked Victoria-by-the-Sea. Cute shops, good food, a lighthouse to tour, and a wonderful community theater.
http://www.victoriabythesea.ca/main.html
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 12:01 PM

I, too, vote for Brier Island. Go directly south out of Digby. The lone narrow highway has 3 (I think) places where you have to take small auto ferries across the inlets. The island has only a handful of places to stay, but is very much true Maritimes - fishing/lobster/scallop boats. There are two (as of 4 years ago) whale watching outfits that'll take you out on the Bay (but lots of frequent fog makes for "iffy" plans). If you go right after getting onto the Island, there's a small lighthouse tended by the Canadian Coast Guard. If you park there and walk along the shore you'll come upon a seal colony.
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 12:08 PM

Laurafromtexas's suggestion for Victory-By-The-sea is a very good selection, but...er...it's on PEI, so don't scour the map of NS looking for it. That said, it is quite a quaint little place. They have the oldest operating community theater in the Maritimes and each summer put on a handful pf plays. We took in one a few years ago which, while hilarious, turned out to be rather risque', at least for young kids. Thankfully, mine were too young (I think) to understand the sexually-colored laugh lines -ha!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:08 AM

The Eastern Shore (Marine Drive)!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:54 AM
LJ

Lighthouse Route/South Shore-some folks don't seem to realize there is a world beyond Peggy's Cove! If you haven't caught up with the Doers and Dreamers Guide to the entire province (Nova Scotia Tourism) check it out!
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:53 AM

I also agree with the Eastern Shore. Martinique is a great beach for walking and Clam Harbour is a great beach for swimming or walking. In Musquodoboit Harbour at the Railway Station Museum they have some great bike trails and there is a nice walking trail you can hop on in Musquodoboit Harbour as well. My favorite place for a lobster roll or fish and chips is also located right there on Rt. 7: Harbour Fish & Fries!