LAst minute! Halifax and PEI with kids!

Jul 22nd, 2019, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

LAst minute! Halifax and PEI with kids!

Hi! I 'm thinking about taking my family (kids ages 9, 8, and 4) to Halifax and then PEI. We will leave on a Thursday or Friday and have to return the next Friday. This would be for this August...We'd love to wander towns, see beautiful sites and maybe some wildlife too. We love good food, local culture, and want to be a on a relaxed pace. I know we can't see everything, but would like to experience something new with them.

Would love to hear any ideas or itineraries you might have. I figure we'd do 2 days halifax and then a third day with a day trip to lunenberg and one with a trip to Peggy's Cove. Then we'd drive to PEI (or should we ferry?). We'd also like to avoid extraordinarily curvy roads...

Is this WAY too short or will it be worth it?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Jul 22nd, 2019, 07:20 PM

My 2 cents.

Hi,

If you ferry, I think you still need to rent a car to Lunenberg and Peggy's Cove and Halifax to ferry terminal. So driving is a reasonable choice.

In Halifax, the Bicycle Thief restaurant is recommended, booking in advance is required. In Lunnenberg the horse carriage trip is fun to your kids, and those colorful ancient houses are definitely impressive.

Weather to Peggy Cove is the key, without fog, the light house view is awesome, good luck!

You might not want to miss Hopewell Rocks, before you go, please pay attention to the tide schedule, tide down is the best time to go.

Have a nice trip !

Last edited by Moderator3; Jul 22nd, 2019 at 08:15 PM.
Jul 22nd, 2019, 10:57 PM

If you're considering PEI, the drive/bridge puts you near enough to Moncton, NB, to warrant viewing the Tidal Bore.

I don't know that the 4yo will appreciate it, but perhaps the older two have seen a few rivers in their time, enough so that they will be pretty impressed when this one turns around to flow in the other direction right before their eyes.

Hopewell Cape is definitely a must-see, where you can walk around on the ocean floor at low tide.

You can plot the tides for the very dates you'll be nearby, for Hopewell Cape, at this link

7 days Tidal Predictions - Tides, Currents, and Water Levels

Your first visit should be at low tide, but do avail yourself of plenty of photos (printed/found on the web) of high tide, SO the kids can SOMEhow gain a sense for where they're walking, down on the ocean floor, and how it had been in 30 or 40 feet of water just hours before.

Also, if you could envision yourself spending the night at a lighthouse, on the Fundy shore, you might look into a night at Cape D'or Lighthouse, where a very nice man runs a bed & breakfast sorta place, which has dinner too.

That could be fun for the kids.

If you click on my name, I've answered zillions of threads on Nova Scotia here over the years, and from the list you might land further ideas.
Jul 23rd, 2019, 06:16 AM

Have you reviewed this thread

Halifax and PEI

I posted places we like on PEI been going to the island since 1985.

PEI is a beautiful place enjoy your trip to the island.