Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Know of a good walking tour in Montreal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have found walking tours to be a great introduction to a new city and wondered if any of you had a tour to recommend in Montreal. I see the Tourist Bureau does one, but would love a recommendation if you have one.

Thanks in advance and thanks also for all the restaurant advice. I did reserve at Touque which got a good writeup in today's New York Times.

Mary
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 01:46 PM

I know of a walking tour that starts in front of the Notre Dame Basilica (Place D'Armes). Don't know if it is any good though.
Ciao!
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 03:23 PM

Hi Mary,

My husband and I did the walking tour of old Montreal (the one referred to by another poster). It starts in front of the Notre Dame basilica. It was really interesting and informative. Highly recommend it.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 04:12 PM

It was a few years ago, but we did a really great walking tour. If you go into the main tourist office downtown, go down the stairs and there is an office on the right hand side. This is where we signed up for the tour. Sorry I don't know the name, but it was excellent. It included a day pass for the Metro, because the walking tour went to different parts of the city, including Old Montreal. We saw things we never would have seen othewise.
Good luck.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 04:58 AM

Here's one of our favorite walks of the Plateau area, and is a great evening stroll on a warm summer night:
Walk or take a cab up to St. Denis by Duluth. Pick up a bottle of wine at the SAQ (liquor store) right there. Stroll down Duluth, and choose a byob restaurant that strikes you. There are about a dozen small byob restaurants in this area. After dinner, walk back to St. Denis, and stroll down the street. The area will be full of others out doing the same thing. There will be lots of shops and cafes open where you can have dessert if you choose. Once you reach Square St. Louis, which is a small park, walk thru the park and listen to the musicians that are usually playing there. Cross thru the park to Prince Arthur Street, a pedestrian walkway packed with outdoor tables and street entertainers. Continue on to St. Laurent, another very lively street where the college crowd congregate and hit the dance clubs and trendy restaurants in the area. Walk on down to Sherbooke, where you can head back to your hotel via cab, foot or Metro.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

Belated Merci! to all of you--

I appreciate it!

Mary