Whistler to victoria

Search

Whistler to victoria

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whistler to victoria

Hi- we're planning a trip to Whister/victoria/vancouver in March of next year. We would like to go from whistler to victoria - does anyone have any suggestions as to whether to go from:
1) Horseshoe bay to nanaimo versus
2) Vancouver to victoria.
Does anyone have any pros and cons between the two? We went from vancouver to victoria this past March and loved the ferry over. I was thinking about taking a different route this time but I was wondering is nanaimo was not the way to go.
Any help would greatly be appreciated!
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 08:48 AM

Vancouver to Victoria is much more scenic because the ferry travels through the islands. It is almost a straight run across the water from Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo. If your destination is Victoria then there's not much sense in going to Nanaimo.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 10:47 AM

I agree with ginocat. If Victoria is your destination, taking the ferry to Nanaimo is going a bit out of your way. But if you'd like a different perspective from the ferry, go ahead and then take the few hours to drive to Victoria after departing the ferry.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 08:39 PM

Don't forget driving distances to get to the ferry terminals.
Horseshoe Bay is north of Vanocuver - therefore closer to Whistler.
The "Vancouver to Victoria" route is actually Tsawwassen to Victoria. The Tsawwassen terminal is about a 45 minute drive from the city centre, or longer depending on traffic and lane closures.
Why don't you go Horseshoe Bay-Nanaimo on the way over and come back Swartz Bay (Victoria) to Tsawwassen?
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks that's a great idea - we were only considering Nanaimo because it was closer to Whistler. We'll go that way from Whistler and take the Tsawwassen ferry back to vancouver. Great idea! Thansk for the info.

Is there anything exciting to see from nanaimo to victoria? Do you know how long the drive is?
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 10:48 PM

The drive is two hours. There are some little towns but I think you have to go off the main road to see them. MAKE A RESERVATION ON THE FERRY BEFORE YOU GO! We arrived about 1:30 for a 3 sailing. Mechanical failure cancelled that sailing. Reservations got on the next sailing AND the reservations for the next sailing as well. Those without reservations were left to scramble. IT WAS A MESS! We had fun anyway but I will always make reservations now. I heard one man say he had tried to make reservations 3 days earlier but the reservations were full. So make them ASAP. Have fun!