Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

Family vacation Niagara and what parts of Canada?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, next summer we are going to Niagara falls and have been advised to make sure we see the Canadian side. We are two adults around 40 years of age and three children ages 10-15. Any advice on parts of Canada that are within a few hours drive that kids would like? Are the hockey hall of fame and the Skydome drivable, if so how long?
Thanks"==
Ken
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 10:48 AM

Outside of Rush Hours Downtown Toronto is about 2 hours on the Queesway and Gardiner Expressways. You should plan on spending at least one night and two full days in Toronto. Furthermore it is the Canadian side of the falls that has most of the attractions so you should not just 'see' the Canadian side. You should of course stay on it so as to avoid crossing the border more than once each way.

Niagara Falls will keep the kids entertained for at least a couple of days and Toronto for a minimum of a couple more. You didn't say how long you were planning on visiting Ontario but if you have more than 4 days I'm sure the kids would enjoy Canada's Wonderland, a themed amusement park about 45 minutes directly north of Toronto. Also the Toronto Zoo is one of the best in the country and on a rainy day the Ontario Science Centre, the Hockey Hall of Fame and the Eaton Centre would be good.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 03:01 PM
MF

kendu,

I agree with all the advice given by GaryA. I would also add the CN Tower to the list. I was something I enjoyed when I first visited it when I moved to Toronto and all my visiting friends and relatives want to see it.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Great advice. Thanks. WHat is the CN tower? a lot of people are suggesting it. Hall of fame actually in Toronto?
Thanks again
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 03:57 PM

The CN Tower is the tallest free standing building in the World. THE Hockey Hall of Fame and the Skydome are both in downtown Toronto close to the lakefront. the CN Tower is adjacent to the Skydome.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 04:08 PM

Hi,

Yes the Hockey Hall of fame is right in downtown Toronto.

Also downtown is the CN Tower, which is [or was] the 'World's tallest free standing structure'. It has a glassed in elevator that takes you to a very high enclosed observation area. You can then take another elevator to go even higher to another observation area. One of the levels has a glass floor - which is exciting when you are looking down 1200 feet!
You and your kids will enjoy the view. It can be equally good on a clear day or a clear night with an expansive view of the Greater Toronto Area as far as Niagara Falls.

ALL of my first time visitors from out of town want to go up the CN Tower.

Beside the tower is Skydome where there Toronto Blues play baseball. Tours are offered - or you could take in a ball game.

En route from Niagara to Toronto you could spend a half day easily at the African Lion Safari where you can take either your own vehicle or a tour bus to visit compounds with many large animals, monkeys etc. Kids seem to enjoy this place a lot. [So do I.....]

Also en route is the Welland Ship Canal where you can watch huge [ 730 foot] lake freighters and 'salties' from around the world climb or descend the Niagara Escarpment going to and from lakes Erie and Ontario.

There is enough to do in Toronto and area to keep you busy for weeks.

cheers

Jerry
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 12:04 PM

I don't know if your kids would really be that interested in the African Lion Safari. The animals and stuff are cool but the waterpark and other play areas are geared more towards younger kids. I remember I went when I was 10 and there was one thing I couldn't even go on because I was too tall. The last time I went I was probably 12 years old and I found it really boring. That could be because I had been every single year since I was 7 (we knew someone who worked there and got us free passes) but also I was too old for it.