Kleinburg ON by public transit

Jul 25th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Kleinburg ON by public transit

I have a transit condundrum that a Torontonian might be able to solve.

Next month, I will be staying in downtown Toronto. I thought I'd like to go out to Kleinburg, to the McMichael Museum of Canadian Art. But it seems it can't be done on public transportation.

The museum website says to take a subway, then a TTC bus, then a York bus, but the latest arrival is at 8:45 am (!), and the museum opens at 10:00. Not acceptable.

York Region Transit seems to confirm this, and the one GO bus that passes nearby also has very limited service.

Is there someplace within 3-5 miles that's a little busier, that has service throughout the day, where at least I could take a taxi to the museum?

Either Kleinburg is pretty rural, or Greater Toronto doesn't have as good a transit system as I imagined.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

--Bewildered New Yorker
Jul 25th, 2006, 10:08 AM

>>>>>>Either Kleinburg is pretty rural, or ...... <<<<<<

Yup, that's it.

The museum didn't start out as a museum. It started out as the acreage of Robert and Signe McMichael. Their personal art collection grew and grew and grew, and eventually they donated the whole package -- the artwork, the house and the acreage -- to the Province of Ontario.

It reminds me a bit of "Field of Dreams" -- a "build it and they will come" sort of place.

Anyway, I hope that people with more detailed local knowledge than I have will be able to suggest additional transportation options.
Jul 25th, 2006, 12:28 PM

From downtown take the Spadina subway north to Yorkdale and catch the express Go transit bus to Canada's Wonderland Park which is located at Jane and Major Mackenzie ($4.25, frequent service). Once at Wonderland,(BTW there is also a huge mall across the street) grab a taxi straight across Major Mackenzie to Islington. The museum is a few Kms north.
Jul 25th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Gemelli. I think that works. The bus leaves every 30 minutes, and the taxi ride would be 7.9 km (according to Google Maps), which probably won't bankrupt me.

Someone should tell the people at the McMichael Museum.

I have posted three question and had good responses to each. Impressive.
Jul 25th, 2006, 08:43 PM

I think some out of towners don't realize how spread out our country is as well as Toronto itself.

Kleinburg is a quaint town. It isn't part of Toronto perse. I think if you were to take a local bus that stopped all the way up you'd probably be on the bus for about 3 hours.

gemelli's sounds doable (not that I would bother) - can you give him an estimate of how much time you think that all will take?

Jul 26th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Yep, Toronto and the GTA is widespread, and your journey north from the city will be an excellent introduction to the topic of urban sprawl.

Note that the GO bus to Wonderland is a seasonal route good only until September. That trip from Yorkdale is approx. 30 minutes plus your taxi ride.

A visit to the McMichael is worth the journey.
Jul 26th, 2006, 01:42 PM

McMicheal is definitely worth the journey. Beautiful setting and quite a wonderful collection.

Should you not be familiar with the artists I suggest you study up a bit on Tom Thomson, Emily Carr and the Group of Seven in particular. Artists who helped define the 'northernness' and wildness of our relatively new country.

Some of Lauren Harris's works especially impact me every time we visit.

cheers

Jerry