Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Canada
Reload this Page >

What's the best way to get to downtown Toronto from the airport? (plus some more questions for the lovely Toronto people)

Search

What's the best way to get to downtown Toronto from the airport? (plus some more questions for the lovely Toronto people)

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Amy
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm seeing options of limos, taxis, and a bus that takes you to the subway(?) but there doesn't seem to be a direct public transportation route...or am I missing something? (Quite possible, as I'm kinda shoe-horning my research in between a lot of other stuff!)

Oh, and can I get a non-tour bus in Toronto to and from Niagara that would leave Niagara at night? I saw something like this on a post from about two years ago, but I wasn't sure about now. There's a GreyLine afternoon and night tour that includes dinner and such, but that's not really my style if I can go on my own. (I don't drive, so that's not an option, of course.)

Also, what's your opinion of the pioneer village in Toronto? (I forget the name at the moment and don't have my Fodor's guide handy.)

Thanks so much; everyone's been very helpful so far, and any other advice about what to do and see is appreciated.
Old May 29th, 2004, 05:54 PM

Amy, if you are wanting to take public transport to downtown Toronto, then the bus and then the subway IS the direct route. I'm not aware of any direct public transit bus that would go all the way downtown. Transfering to the subway is the fastest. If you stick to buses, it would take forever, and quite possibly numerous transfers.

I'm also not aware of any direct non-tour bus to Niagara. NOt to say there aren't any, but I've not heard of any. Perhaps that's why the tours are so popular. It might be possible to take the GO train to Hamilton and then catch a bus, but this is just guessing on my part.

I think you are thinking of Black Creek Pioneer Village, but I've not been to it. Sorry, I can't be of more help.

Oh, Just thought, I think there is a bus that leaves the airport and goes right downtown to the ROyal York Hotel, but I think it is more expensive than public transit.
Old May 29th, 2004, 06:06 PM

Amy, A bit more information. I just checked and the Airport Express Bus Is $14.95 one way and $25.75 return.
So the cheapest way is the public transit , which is called the TTC. TTC has a bus leaving the airport called The 192 Airport Rocket and this route takes you to the subway in about 20 minutes and then you would transfer to the subway and be downtown in about another 30 minutes. The cost for the TTC public transit is $2.25 cash fare one way. Don't forget to get a transfer on the bus.
Good luck.
Old May 29th, 2004, 06:12 PM

Me again!!!
I found a web site for buses going between Toronto and Niagara and back and , yes there are evening buses. Here is the website. ( hope this works!).
http://www.travelniagara.org/d-fast-bus.html
Yippy, it worked! I'm not good at this fancy copying and pasting stuff!!!!
Good luck.
Old May 29th, 2004, 06:59 PM
BAK

Amy, the TTC option is not bad, if you are outside rush hours and not in a hurry. Plus, if you don't have much liggage.

the $15 express bus has someone to help load and unload liggage. On the TTC, you drag it onto a regular city bus, and then take it up and down stairs or, perhaps, escalators in subway stations.

If you are by yourself, the bus to Niagra Falls is a good option; see the info about the shuttle service and people mover in Niagara Falls to get you around the community.
Old May 29th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Amy
Original Poster

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is great information about the airport, plus it looks as if I'll be able to spend a good amount of time in Niagara without having to stay overnight (which would be kind of a waste to do as I'm paying for Pantages for the four nights I've got...)

I can't wait to come! I know that it can't be everybody, but the Torontoans?(ites?) that I've frequently met on my travels throughout the world have been great people, and the ones on this board are the same.

Old May 31st, 2004, 02:58 PM

Hi, Amy, heartily with earlier poster that lugging luggage on the subway is a pain in the butt, esp because you will likely end up going from bus to subway, switch trains and then??? I usually spring for the limo fare going out and home again. However when travelling myself to other cities, I think the airport bus option is a good one. And you can take it to the Royal York Hotel, which is right across the street from Union Station. Check the route, if it goes to the Marriott on Bloor or Intercontinental on Bloor there are subways by each of them, sure there are others...

Re Black Creek Pioneer Village - I really like it, esp in fall or winter. Suggest you ask them when it's least busy to avoid school groups. Summer it is hot, being old buildings there is no air conditioning. If you are into history and the pioneer stuff, it's fun, it's just a bit of a trek to get there, but accessible via transit. Be sure to ask questions of the staff who are there, it will make your visit more worthwhile, and they get a lot of school groups, so seem to like the 'grownup' questions about living there. Site, in case you didn't find it already: www.blackcreek.ca

One FYI - I noticed the site has one of those 'best of' votes. Both weeklies, Eye and NOW have best of guides that are voted on by readers, but they are getting less reliable. The standard student faves are getting more votes, vs. the 'real finds'. Just take them with a grain of salt, they'll be at least good.
Old May 31st, 2004, 06:35 PM
Amy
Original Poster

Thanks, Junetravelfall! (Wow, that's a mouthful...) Is there a specific limo service that you use? Any general round figure on the price? I don't mind the paying the extra price for convenience, actually, since it seems that the public transport route may be just a bit lengthy or difficult. The Airport Express might work, too...

Black Creek looks great; thanks for the website. I hope that I have time for everything that I'd like to do--but then, Toronto is only an hour and 45 minute fllight away from me, so I guess I could come back again, eh?
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 04:34 AM
BAK

If I was watching my budget but not a poor starving student, I'd take the airport express bus (giant hghway style, $15 or so) from the airport to the Royal York Hotel, and then take a cab from there to the Pantages.

It's harder than it might sound to go fromthe bus exit at the Royal York to the subway, and then from the subway at King and Yonge to the the Pantages. Just grab a cab from the Royal York Hotel.

If you have an easy-to-roll wheeled suitcase, you could stay on the airport express bus to the Delta Chelsea hotel, and then just walk to the hotel. It's about three - four blocks.

BAK
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 11:13 AM

From the airport, just go to the limo/taxi spot and they'll pull up. The prices are regulated. To downtown is $35-$40 depending on where you are going. Otherwise I've used Airfleet I think.