Kingston-Alexander Henry B&B

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone familiar with this B&B located aboard a moored vessel in downtown Kingston? It's evidently part of the Marine Museum of the Great Lakes and the rooms are actual cabins on board the ship. Been to the website, and it does look interesting. Wood appreciate first hand information. Thanks.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 05:50 PM

Sinehat,
Been to the museum but I didn't realize the ship was also a hostel. This article was in a recent Toronto Life magazine....accomodation sounds interesting but perhaps spartan.

Alexander Henry Bed and Breakfast

This 1959 Coast Guard icebreaker, now moored at Kingston’s Marine Museum of the Great Lakes, is earning her keep even in retirement. In her heyday, the vessel, patriotically painted red and white, serviced buoys, beacons and other navigation aids across the Great Lakes, and cleared ice so that massive lakers could complete their voyages before winter freeze-up made the lakes impassable. Today, boat buffs can eat, breathe and sleep their passion aboard the 210-foot breaker, which was converted in 1986 into a bed and breakfast and museum. Yet the ship is most popular with budget-seeking students and scuba divers, who for $35 a night can procure one of the shared two-bunk Backpacker cabins, continental breakfast in the Officer’s Mess and admission to the Marine Museum. The less economically challenged might prefer the spartan but sunny Chief Engineer’s Room ($90 a night), which affords the best view across the water to Fort Henry. Don’t expect the conditions to be more luxurious in any of the other 26 cabins; do expect to be dislodged early in the morn (at 10 a.m.)—the ship is open to museum visitors by day. However sparsely appointed, the vessel is ideally situated for a day of scuba diving, which has boomed in the area with the clarifying effects of the zebra mussel infestation. In the Kingston area, about 15 wrecks, including assorted 19th-century schooners and early-20th-century steamers, have been permanently moored for safe diving.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for the article. I was afraid it might turn out to be some sort of rusted hulk located more in a run-down area of the town. Doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 12:11 PM

The Alexander Henry is an integral part of the well done Museum of the Great Lakes. It is moored beside the museum right beside the waterfront pathway which extends along the Kingston downtown core past the City Hall. The B&B is perfectly situated for days of sightseeing and evening strolls along the waterfron after dinner on one of the many patios. Don't forget to grab icecream in a waffle cone at White Mountain Icecream (homemade, made fresh daily) to enjoy while you stroll.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:32 PM

I was confused - I asked a Coast Guard Vet - those three diagrams showing the room layouts is only the rear of the ship. The forward part is attached to the flat part of the diagrams. The rounded part of the diagram is the rear of the ship.
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 03:01 PM

I booked both the Captains and the Chief Officers cabins July 23 2005. I regret this for the most part. And do not recommend that any one stay on this ship. Unless trying to fulfill some sort of fantasy as I was. The claim is "Since 1985 the ship has been host to over 50,000 guests” Therefore what I experienced is intolerable and inexcusable. I have to wonder how they can remain legally operating. The plumbing is marginal if functional at all. The shared toilet for the 1st-4th officers on the top deck was not screwed in place. One had to ponder the likelihood of tipping over. In the Captains private facilities the toilet did not maintain a water level exposing feces to the air (and odor results are obvious) had I not intervened with a pitcher of water as needed the stink would have been overwhelming since the toilet would also not flush. I easily dislodged the plastic cover as it was basically falling off anyway. I also identified the key mechanism to get it to flush. The desk man or what ever he is called gave a small discourse on vacuum systems and leaks when informed of the no water in toilet etc. But took no action. The entire ship especially bath rooms were filthy and in various states of serious/significant disrepair. The water is clearly posted as not drinkable. And it is infested with spiders yielding several bites during the one night stay. I could not wait to leave with my wife and kids. One quick breakfast roll and we were gone. The best I could say is that at least my kids could say they slept in the Captain’s quarters on a Coast Guard Ship. I think I will send a copy of this to some official in Kingston. This is really pathetic for claiming to have had 50,000 guests and years worth of practice/experience. They cant even make the Captian's Quarters functional!
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 11:16 AM

I have only just seen this post and would have to agree with Sobolik (above) for the most part. We stay on this ship last summer. had the best quarters and it was pretty bad. I wanted to think it was a great experience but it was not and we too could not wait to leave. Everything left a lot to be desired.

The area around the ship was okay. it's the ship that was not. A rusted hulk? Well kinda. I feel bad about saying this, but I can't honestly recommend it to anyone.