REPOST, Cleveland hotel close to Museum?

Old Nov 18th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REPOST, Cleveland hotel close to Museum?

Repost, since I forgot to put location in the title and body:

I want to see the Arts & Crafts exhibit at the Cleveland Museum of Art the weekend of January 7/8 (right before it closes). Don't want to rent a car. What hotel is closest to the museum? The Glidden House? Is that the only one within walking distance to the museum? Thanks much.

Old Nov 18th, 2005, 07:06 PM

For heavens sake!

Go to www.cleveland.citysearch.com

Do a search for Cleveland Museum of Art.

Then, click on Hotels under "What's Nearby" and you'll get a list of hotels in order of distance - along with user ratings and links to rate shopping.

Glidden House is the closest (with a very high rating).
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

There is no need to be snide. I checked various websites. However, citysearch is not the be all and end all, and, as far as New York City goes, they do not list every hotel and B&B, contrary to what you might believe. Sorry to gripe at you, but I am tired of people who assume that information on the internet is absolutely complete and mistake- or omission-free.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 01:12 PM

I am originally from Cleveland and I'm not sure if I would want to stay by the museum. I would suggest a hotel closer to Tower City and take a cab to the museum. What else are you going to do when you are there? If you don't plan on doing anything else, stay near the museum. If you want to eat, shop or walk around, stay more near the center of town. Enjoy.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 01:29 PM

Budzilla,

Glidden House is within site of the Art Museum. It is on the edge of the Case-Western Reserve University campus. A few short blocks from the Art Museum is Little Italy. On campus is That Place on Bellflower restaurant, highly rated by many locals. Adjacent to the Art Museum is the natural history museum as well as the garden club, which has a wonderful indoor exhibit area. You are also near Severance Hall, home of the Cleveland Orchestra.

So I think you could easily fill the week-end staying in University Circle, as this area is called. As in any large city, you avoid certain areas in the evening but the Circle area is safe.

SuzieTrue
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 06:37 PM
JRP

I agree with Suzie. You can spend a weekend in The Circle. The challenge is that your mobility will probably be greatly restricted by the weather at that time of year. You won't want to walk more than maybe from the doorway to the taxi. You must plan your time wisely and indoors. The museum is, easily, the better part of a day. I haven't checked the Orchestra schedule but, if they are performing, you could not spend your entertainment budget on anything better. Walking or cabbing there, again, would depend on the temperatures. Also, a very short and affordale cab ride (maybe $5 +tip) will deliver you to some of the best Italian restaurants in the nation. Cleveland's Little Italy should be your choice for the signature dinner of your weekend. Bundle up and enjoy. Cleveland is not often recognized for it's culture- but it should be!