Search

Ottawa to PEI

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ottawa to PEI

Hi, looking for help planning a trip from Toronto to PEI in August with 2 young children. We have 2 weeks to travel and have allready booked 3 nights at a hotel in PEI in August. We would like to avoid Montreal, and want to spend at least 1 night in Quebec City. But where to we go form QC? Everyone says the Gaspe. Where to stay and how long?? (Camping is a possibility). Children would be over the moon to see whales, What would you recommend (including accomadation in QC and the Gaspe)? Thanks!!!!!
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 07:23 AM
cjx

I would suggest going through Ottawa (you might want to spend a day or two here to enjoy our beautiful city and see the changing of the guards on Parliament Hill & Rideau Hall, etc - (kids love that) then go up the north shore through MonteBello to Quebec City. The newly finished highway totally avoids Montreal & only takes 5 hours max from Ottawa to Quebec City with lots to see along the way. Quebec City is worth 2 days exploring. The ferry to and from Levis is lots of fun for kids & offers great views of QC.Then continue along the north shore to Tadessac to see the whales via zodiac & take the ferry across the St Lawrence from Malbaie (we saw a blue whale while crosiing). From there go across New Brunswick to Shediac (worth a stop to see the lobster boats in the harbour and eat fresh lobster) and the bridge to PEI (this is the short way) or circle round Gaspe (much longer route). If you can stay at some B&Bs, they are all very inexpensive with fantastic breakfasts in general and you get a chance to practise your french (if you don't have any, don't worry they are still wonderful kind people who will feed you well). Great fun with kids and usually better than in hotels. Just avoid the ones with lots of antiques.
Hope this helps.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

I have another question about where to stay in Quebec City. Is there a hotel that is easy to drive too?(i'm a bit frightened of driving in Quebec City). Would it be a good idea to stay in Levis instead, and take the Ferry to the city?

Thanks again!
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Ops, looks like my other comment didn't go through: thanks for all your advice cjx!
Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, can you tell me what the newly finished hwy from Ottawa to quebec is?
thanks!