From Quebec City to PEI....how long?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 08:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you tell me how long it might take to drive to PEI from Quebec City?
We are in the beginning stages of planning a driving trip from New jersey, to Montreal, Quebec City, PEI, Bay of Fundy and then back to NJ.
We are planning about 2 weeks to travel. Does this sound do-able?
We love car trips!!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 04:34 AM

Quebec City to the Confederation Bridge is about 8-9 hours. Then start of bridge to Ch'Town is approx. 1 hour.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 06:30 AM
BAK

Remember you need to calculate how long it takes to get out of Quebec City.Last time I was there you had to either cross a bridge to the west of the city or take a ferry from downtown.

And your route matters. You've got the choice of truning south early, and going theough the Saint John River Valley, or continuing to head east more or less beside the St. Lawrence, and then turning south down the coast of Northumberland Strait, through Cambelton, Dalhousie, etc.

And you need to consider what you want to stop and enjoy on the way.

My last trip was leaving Moncton about 10 am, and going through Fredericton, and having dinner in downtown Quebec City early evening, driving fast and only stopping for gas and strawberry shortcake.

So, in reality, and for a tourist, think about two pleasant days on the road.

My "through Fredericton" choice was based on speed. For scenery, I'd prefer going along the coast of New Brunswick.

Just for fun...

Friday mid-afternoon leave and arrive in Montreal in the evening.
Saturday in Montreal
Sunday in Montreal, and leave mid-afternoon for Quebec City. Sunday dinner in Quebec City.
Monday in Quebec City.
Tuesday early, leave Quebec City. Tuesday night on the north end of the Northumberland Starit, Cambelton, Dalhousie, etc.
Wednesay drive down the coast, visit some of the parks, Wednesday night in Moncton.
Thursday morning to the bridge and over to Prince Edward Island.
Friday in PEI, Friday night there.
Saturday, take the ferry from PEI to Nova Scotia, and go to Halifax.
Sunday in Halifax.
Monday morning south from Halifax threough Chester and PEggy's Cove and down to the bottom of the province.
Tuesday, up the shore of Bay of Fundy. Tuesday night stay in Wolfville or Digby, etc.
Wednesday up to Amherst, over to Moncton, down to Fundy National PArk. Wednesday night in/near Fundy Park.
Thursday to St.Andrews by the Sea. Stay there Thursday night.
Friday cross into Maine, enjoy the coast, eat some lobster, visit Acadia national Park near Bar Harbor. Stay in BAr Harbor.
SAturday, drive down the Maine coast, visit LLBean and some other stores, and perhaps end the day in Portland.
Sunday, drive to New Jersey.

Only you can decide if this is way too much driving and not enough wandering around, or a great trip with lots to see from the comfort of your own automobile.

I've done all this in various chunks, several times each, except the New Jersey to Montreal drive.

There are not a lot in Interstates or interstate-like roads involved here, so don't assume 600 miles in a day. And there's lots to see and do and take pictures of ev ery 50 miles, so you'll enjoy stopping often.

BAK
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

BAK!!! WOW!
Thanks SO MUCH for that. It's exactly the kind of info I was looking for but thought it was way to much info to ask.
I've copied your post to another couple that we'll be traveling with and we'll fine tune your itinerary.
Do you live in the area???

Also faithie. Thanks for the answer to my original question. I didn't think it was quite that far so we'll need to spend a night on the road.

Thanks guys/gals. ! You're the best!