Reload this Page >

Help! Ottawa to PEI, 7 days, how to drive it

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Kirk Petersen

I have 7 days to drive from Ottawa to NB/PEI and drive back to Montreal - starting Aug 4. Will drive directly and spend all my sightseeing time in PEI/NB/NS general area. Traveling alone so I'm very nimble. How long is the drive, what's best route(s) and where should I best focus my time.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Dianeg

Having driven back & forth between Montreal and the Maritimes several times, I would recommend going through the States one way and back on the Trans-Canada the other way (spending some time along the North Shore of New Brunswick on the way back).<BR><BR>The route through the States would have you heading down to Burlington VT, then to Bangor on the 2, then to the Calais/St-Stephen border crossing to NB. It's definitely the shortest route to the Fundy area of New Brunswick. Then through Moncton to get to the bridge to PEI.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Gil

Our family drove to the Maritimes from Toronto. Took the 401 to Montreal and then onward to Quebec on the 40. Camped outside of Quebec City. From Quebec along the Trans-Canada to NB. Made it to Fredericton for a night at a hotel.<BR><BR>From Fredericton, onward to Fundy National Park and Hopewell Rocks, 2days 1 night, then to Halifax.<BR><BR>After Halifax, up to Cape Breton. Whale watching in Cheticamp. Swung through PEI on the way back. Last two nights spent in Fredericton and Quebec City. Got to cross 3 bridges noted in the Guiness Book of World Records: Confederation, Hartland covered bridge, cantelever bridge in Quebec City!<BR><BR>Whole trip took nine days. Itineary is up to you so your trip will fit into 7 days. Cutting through the US certainly is faster, but you do miss out on a lot of Canada. If you want to alternate, from Montreal follow the 40 to QC, then the Trans-Can to Moncton. On the way back, from Moncton follow the Acadian coast up to Quebec and follow the 20 back to Montreal. Youl see more of French Canada this way. Don't know how long it'll take though.<BR><BR>I hope this helps, enjoy your trip!

Old Jun 4th, 2013, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what camp ground did you stay in outside QC Gill?
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 10:49 AM
BAK

If you look at a map, you'll see you need to drive pretty far north, and then pretty far south, to get from Ottawa to PEI while staying in Canada.
And there's a big question about time driving vs enjoying the drive.
If this were me:
Ottawa south to NY state, thern east to Maine coast, then North to New Brunswick.
All the roads within the USA are twisty and will take you a bit out of the way, but at least they are interesting.
I'd aim to hit the coast at Portland and then stay as close to the coast as possible.
Boothbay Harbor, Bar Harbor, and circle drive on Acadia park are on my list. Lobster at Lobster Pound restaurant in Lincolnville.
Old Jun 13th, 2013, 09:09 AM

I've driven to PEI from Ottawa several times, however not all at once. If you're driving direct to PEI and don't want the hassle of driving on single lane roads, or at least limiting them, I would suggest driving the Trans Canada to PEI via QC, NB. Traveling time direct about 14 hours.

Places to visit on PEI include PEI National Park which is about 40kms of the north shore. At one entrance of the Park in North Rustico, there are fishing trips and kayak tours/rentals, Montgomery Theatre, as well as resto that serves lobster. There are many campgrounds however if you go to the east end check out Red Point Provincial park near scenic Basin head as well as the eastern point of PEI. There is a vibrant arts scene on PEI so ask for a copy of the Buzz magazine (similar to the Ottawa XPress) when you arrive to see what interests you.