Kelowna, restaurants & wineries

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, We are staying at the Lake Okanagan Resort the last weekend of Sept. and I'm starting to do research on 2 of my favorite things=wine tasting and eating. Any suggestions of favorites or "can't miss places" would be much appreciated. Thanks, GCHAN
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:11 AM

Simply take a drive around the lake and visit the wineries. Mission Hill is a spectacular spot!
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:25 AM
ltt

recently went to the naramata area. there are several within close driving distance of each other. one of our favorites was "lake breeze". we had lunch on their patio. it very a very good lunch and would return.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 06:03 PM

The Gray Monk winery is one of few north of Kelowna. It is a favourite of ours to visit and have lunch on the patio overlooking the lake.
Mission hill is spectacular yes and they have an interesting tour.
Are you there for the Wine festival? We stayed at Manteo resort that time last year and they had a wine and food pairing special dinner that we attended.
The restaurant there was very good also.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 07:58 PM

Visit both Mission Hill and Quails Gate wineries, as they are close together, and have award winning wines. The Old Vines patio restaurant at Quails Gate is a great spot to have a nice lunch or sunday brunch.
The Wild Apple Grill at Manteo resort is one of my favorite restaurants. It is right on the water and has a patio if the weather is good, or enjoy the view from inside. Lots of window tables.
The restaurant at the Harvest Golf Course gives a great view of the city and lake. I love to go up there before the sun goes down and see the lights come on. (you want a clear day for this)
Not sure if they will still be running, but there are a number of lake cruises as well. www.executivehouseboatcharters.com/cruises
Also the Fintry Queen just started running again. www.fintryqueen.com
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who wrote. If I remember, we miss the wine festival by days, as we leave Sept. 28th. I'm disappointed as I'm sure it would have been fun, but maybe this way everything won't be so crowded.
Does anyone know what to expect for weather in the last week of Sept.? Also, I think our resort is a ways out, and this is our first time to visit Kelowna, so I'm hoping all places mentioned are within fairly easy driving? We really only use the resort as a place to sleep, and spend our days exploring so we're looking forward to our visit there.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:06 PM

You should still have good weather the last week of Sept.Lake Okanagan Resort is a bit secluded. It's not right in Kelowna but on the west side of Lake Okanagan just outside of Kelowna. You need to really pay attention when driving the road to the resort - especially at night.It's a very twisty road. I live almost right across the lake from the resort & have lived here for 20 yrs. It's a lovely area for sure...but you are not going to be right IN Kelowna. Any further questions ? Don't hesitate to ask ...I'm here.
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Hi sas 11109,
It is nice to have a local contact. And thanks for the warning on the road. I was concerned about the distance out to this resort so talked to the resort itself, and guess I should have known when they told me to pick up groceries on the way in, plus to think of the trip out as a way to enjoy the scenery. I guess my main thing is planning the day's activities out enough so that we don't have to return to the resort until after dinner each night. Which brings the question of whether most wineries and restaurants are dressy or casual, and if casual, even nice levi's? Coming from CA we're probably more casual than other areas, so would want to dress appropriately for Canada.
I know you are known for your wonderful fruits, and we are probably late for anything other than apples, but do you have a local Farmer's Market? If so, where and when?
I'm picking up a book at AAA this week, so I'll be a little more familiar with the area, and then I'm sure I'll have more questions for you. Thanks, GCHAN
Old Aug 26th, 2007, 09:16 PM

Like the USA, Canada varies greatly by province. BC is very similar to California in terms of what people wear. Casual's the way to go.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 12:39 PM
LJ

Very casual in terms of what to wear (don't bother with jacket or tie for men or dresses for women). Weather still lovely and much fruit still avail. For restaurant recco, check out The Stonehouse in Summerland, a very pretty little town about half-way between Kelowna and Penticton.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Gchan

Here is the website for the Kelowna Farmers Market. http://www.kelownafarmersandcrafters...com/index.html
As you will see it is still going on while you are here. There is an evening one as well but I am not sure of your arrival date so that may be finished by then. You can read all about it anyway their website is excellent.
I have to disagree with LJ. Apples will really be the only fruit at the end of September. We are getting to the end of the season now for peaches, tomatoes etc. Also Summerland is almost to Penticton much more than halfway so I wouldn't recommend it for dinner but if you are out for a drive during the day lunch would work. You don't want to be driving the road to the resort after dark. Have a great visit.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:34 PM

Right now we are in the midst of "fruit nightmare" as I call it! Everyone & anyone that has fruit trees here is trying to give it away ! We are all being innundated with "do you want some peaches or plums?".And everyone I know is screaming "Noooooooooooo!". Sadly, lots of fruit trees in your yard only holds it's charm for so long around here! LOL ! Icouldn't GIVE my cherries away earlier in the summer & now I'm in "plum nightmare".
Anyway....make sure you go to the Kelowna Farmers Market on Saturday morning when you're here. It's GREAT (was just there again this past Sat.). Lots of local artisans, fresh fruit & veggies, artisan breads, etc. Also GREAT PEROGIES to buy to take back to the resort & cook up for lunch or supper!
As to your question about how to dress at the local wineries & restaurants..oh yeah casual is good here. Unless you're planning on dining at some of the upper-end places you'll do just fine in nice khakis,golf shirt, etc. We don't see too many 3 piece suits in our neck of the woods!

Traveller69 has great advice. I also agree that if you're going to explore other areas of our valley at that time of year you might want to do it during daylight hours. Definately GO ...go to Naramata & Summerland and places in between ...fabulous places. I LOVE the south end of the valley ! But if you don't know the roads around here you'll want to do those trips in the daylight.It's pretty well dark here right now at about 8:30 pm & some of our roads are not for the faint of heart especially after dark.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. We definitely will head out during the day for Penticton, etc. Is the road out to our resort really that bad, that it shouldn't be driven after dark? We usually always eat breakfast and often lunch at the resort, and always eat out for dinner, so am a little bummed at this news. Guess dinners will be early this trip.
I love farmers and craft markets, so will get in on the site you sent and find out all the info. Wish I was there now to take some of that wonderful fruit off your hands. GCHAN
P.S. Are levi's acceptable day time wear?
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 07:00 PM

GCHAN, try to have a nice lunch instead, and eat dinner at the Resort. There are some really enjoyable spots at wineries in particular for lunch.

Traveller69, nice to hear from you. Are you back from Oregon now?
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 07:38 PM

Hi Sludick. Yes we are back and after a month of cool and fog so we aren't minding the heat too much. At least it is cool at nights now. You are coming this way quite soon I think. The weather is supposed to be very pleasant for the forseeable future. I was out today buying all my ingredients for chili sauce - the tomatoes here are excellent this year and very reasonably priced. Have a good visit and let me know if you want any updated winery reports.
GCHAN levis are perfectly acceptable so don't worry about getting dressed up - just enjoy.