Jasper or Hinton?

Nov 12th, 2002, 06:42 AM
Steve

Jasper or Hinton?

We are in the planning stages of a trip to the Jasper area next July. I am having trouble deciding whether to stay in the town of Jasper or stay in Hinton. Will it be too inconvenient to stay in Hinton to explore the park or is it better to stay in Jasper?
Is parking a problem in Jasper during high season?
Also, has anyone had an experience with the Park Place Inn in Jasper?

Nov 12th, 2002, 09:32 AM
x

stay in jasper

Nov 12th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Lucie

Hello Steve,
I recommand Jasper as well.
Jasper is great !
We stayed at Pine Bungalows... here's their web site.
http://www.jasperadventures.com/accommo1/pinebung/pinebung.htm

It's a great place to stay !
Enjoy the Rockies !!
Lucie

Nov 12th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Pessie

Oooooh, you are so lucky! Stay in Jasper. My favorite part of the Rockies.

Nov 12th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Lynne

Although Hinton may be cheaper for Hotel/Motel rooms, you will probably enjoy the convenience of being "in Jasper". If you are staying in Hinton, you will need to purchase a park pass for the week (or however long you will be there for...) so that you can enter the park each day. If you are staying in the park, you can get away with a day pass, as long as you aren't coming and going from the park.
We stayed at Jasper Park Lodge last spring and loved it! It can be expensive, but we booked our weekend there on a special that they were having ("Sweet Romance Package"). Not sure if they do that many specials, but we definitely thought it was worth the extra $$. For more suggestions, visit www.jaspercanadianrockies.com. Good luck with the planning!

Nov 12th, 2002, 02:52 PM
DS

On a weekend trip to Jasper couple summers back, we stayed at the Ramada in Hinton, which was very convenient and close access to the Park. But this was because we couldn't find any accomodation in Jasper itself and it turned out to be less expensive.

Jasper is wonderful.. have a great trip. I envy you!!!!!

Nov 12th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Gavin

Count me as another vote for staying in Jasper. Who wants to commute while on vacation if it can be avoided?

A remark was made about saving on park admission by staying in Jasper. When you get to the gate you could pay nothing by saying that you are just passing through but that is called lying. The times that I have stayed in Banff or Jasper I told teh gate attendant that we were staying in the park for X days and we were charge for that number of days. You get a pass to display and you could get nabbed if your car is at a trailhead without a pass.

Nov 12th, 2002, 06:03 PM
al

Definitely better to stay in Jasper. However, if budget is a concern, it is much cheaper in Hinton. Yes, Hinton involves a drive but we drove at dusk when a lot of animals were out.

As another poster said, buy the park pass for the days you are staying. It is relatively inexpensive; doing the right thing and paying for the upkeep, etc. of the park system.

Nov 13th, 2002, 04:49 AM
Steve

Thank you all for the information. I have pretty much made my mind up to stay in Jasper.I am looking into staying at a b & b. There are so many of them in the area it seems. Does anyone have any good recommendations for one?
As far as the park pass, I am planning on buying the National Park Pass of Canada. We are planning on visiting Banff and Kootenay as well as Jasper. This seems to be the best way and it certainly goes to a good cause.