Jasper Nat'l Park HELP!

Old Mar 7th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jasper Nat'l Park HELP!

We are staying at our timeshare in Canmore for a week in July. I understand that Jasper area is beautiful. Is it worth spending a night up there during our weeks stay? Any recommendations on where to stay. Will pay up to $250 but have no problem with clean, COMFORTABLE economy motel. I've never been given bad advise yet from a Fodorite!!
THANKS!
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 06:04 AM

It certainly is worth visiting Jasper, if only for the drive there and back on the spectacular Icefields Parkway. Try Becker's Chalets for accommodation.

You can easily do this from Canmore with an overnight stay, but it won't give you much time at all to visit some of Jasper's attractions. Two nights would be better, but with only a week in the Banff area you'll have to decide on your priorities in each place. But do go!
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 06:18 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the Jasper HI Hostel. There is a kitchen, dining room, fireplace and a laundry room. The restroom/showers are down the hall. Private and dorm rooms are available. http://www.hihostels.com/
Be sure to see the Maligne Valley.
Old Mar 7th, 2012, 08:42 PM

Have you thought of checking out the home stays in Jasper? The last list I looked at had over 120 choices.
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 03:16 AM

Becker chalets is great.Paul
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 07:41 AM

Jasper has plenty of bed and breakfast and some great hotel bargains.

Suggetsions:
Athabasca Hotel - older hotel right in the middle of town. Walking distance to everything in their downtown.

Sawridge hotel - a chain of small hotel in Alberta owned by the Sawrige Indian Band. Clean and resaonable priced.

Pyramid Lake Cabins - if you like cabins, taht's the way to go.

You should look at booking hotel room / cabins or something in between Banff and Jasper. There are so much to see that if you drive staright up from Banff to Jasper, you will miss lots.

Suggestions: book one night near Lake Louise, Deer Lodge or Post Hotel are great choice. Book another night near the Saskatchewan River crossing. It would be a good place to rest and see the attractions at the "middle" of the icefield parkway.
Old May 24th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys...as usual lots of good info!