Independent Book and Music Stores in Toronto

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Toronto for the last week in August. I already heard about Book City, but are there any suggestions for other independent book and music stores to visit?

Thanks.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:43 PM
BAK

One could argue that Book City is a chain.

Nicolas Hoare, on Front Street East, between Church and Jarvis, is a wonderful general purpose book store.

Mirvish Books, on Markham Street just south of Bloor, is a great place for art books, architecture books, and other fancy tomes.

The University of Toronto Book Store, in a building at the corner of College Street and St. George, is a good book store if you want the kinds of books it sells -- wider range than you might think.

Cookbooks? There's a cookbook store on Yonge Street, west side, a couple of blocks north of Bloor. Probably on the corner of Yorkville, but maybe Cumberland.

BAK

BAK
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:07 AM

My very favourite book store is Open Air Books at 25 Toronto Street. It's a travel book store and jammed packed with travel books.

I haven't been for a very long time. I hope it's still there.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:23 AM

Open Air Books is an experience.....a tiny lower level store which is filled literally floor to ceiling with a multitude of travel -related books including many relating Ontario and Canada.

Jerry
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:54 AM

The Book Mark at 2364 Bloor West (Royal York subway stop) is now, it claims, the oldest operating independent book store in the city.

Prior to their closing, Britnell's on Yonge just north of Bloor, was likely the oldest - it was forced out by Chapters/Indigo, I suppose - one of each opened within a couple of blocks of Britnell's - the location is now a Starbucks with some of the shelving intact.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:25 AM
BAK

What's a music store? Sheet music, or recordings?

Remani, or some similar spelling, sell pianos on the main floor, and a lot of sheet music, mostly classical, downstairs. It's on the north side of Bloor Street West, west of AVenue Road, across from the street from The Royal Conservatory of Music.

And there's a classical music recording store (with a good jazz department, I seem to remember) on Yorkville Avenue, just east of Belair and west of Bay, semi-upstairs in a little block of stores that includes a Second Cup.

My recollection of The Book MArk is that it has nothing particular to offer in comparison to a Chapters or Indigo. Book City, on the other hand, has lots of remainders, and usually there's some bargains to be had.

BAK
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:32 AM
hdm

Great second-hand/new books at BMV (stands for Books, Music, Video). There's a large new store on the south side of Bloor just west of Spadina and a smaller but jam-packed store at Yonge and Eglinton.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:33 AM
hdm

For sheet music, Dave Snyder Music (possibly Snider -- I don't remember for sure) on Yonge north of Lawrence.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for all your responses. I'm getting some great information here. Please continue if you have more ideas.

To clarify, by music, I'm mean CDs, not sheet music or instruments. Unfortunately, I have no record player so I'm not particularly interested in vinyl either.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:49 AM

The OP asked for suggestions for "independent" book stores - The Book Mark qualifies.

Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:09 AM

Hi There,

The best independent books stores, according to me:

TEN EDITIONS BOOKS 698 Spadina, 416-964-3803 - beautiful old store with plank floors, books in piles, and 15' shelves with rolling ladders.

BALFOUR BOOKS 601 College, 416-531-9911. Excellent selection of used books.

PAGES (256 Queen West, 416-598-1447)- extremely popular independent book store. The store is a large supporter of the arts in the city and runs several lectures each month.

Book City is also good - the bloor location is best.

For CD's, if you don't make a visit to soundscapes, you're crazy.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/200...eoftheweek.php

Jeff
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 09:59 AM

PAGES (256 Queen West) is your best bet for unique books you will not find at the major bookstores.

Book City is good for remaindered bargains.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Snipe on Richmond just west of Spadina has a good selection of design books. I also love Pages as mentioned above.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 10:27 AM

Oh, for music there's Soundscapes on College west of Spadina and good used books and used cds at She Said Boom which is east of Spadina on College near Augusta.
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 06:39 AM
BAK

Book City Bloor Street; there are two, if you're looking them up in a directory. The better of the two is on the south side of Bloor Street, east of Bathurst and west of Spadina. (the other is a multi-stop subway ride away, near Runnymeade station.

The Book Mark may be independent, but it sure isn't worth a trip unless you're already in the neighborhood, which is unlikely.

Swipe -- as in lift an idea from the work of others -- with a W as the second letter -- easier to find in a directory.

BAK
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 10:23 AM
hdm

BAK,
just fyi, there's another Book City on Danforth near Chester (next to the Carrot Common little group of stores). But I agree with you that the Annex one is the best of them and the place where you'd be most like to find a treasure.